Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Turkeys hen has run off....  (Read 5462 times)

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
Turkeys hen has run off....
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:18:49 am »
One of my hens ran off this morning with a wild Tom! Anyone have any information on the likely hood of her returning? 
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.
From The Declaration of Arbroath 1320.

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Turkeys hen has run off....
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 10:40:22 am »
You'll probably receive divorce papers by the first of the week!

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 10:40:31 am »
I had that happen with one of my hens the first and only year I raised turkeys. She stayed around in the area and would come in to hit the feeder 2-3 times a day over several days. Eventually she worked her way back home and brought the tom with her! The tom left after a couple of days but the hen stayed.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 06:04:28 pm »
You'll probably receive divorce papers by the first of the week!

LOL!!  She actually showed back up, looking rather disheveled, so now should I get a paternity test??

So now I am hoping for eggs from her and we will incubate them.

Thanks all!
Cruachan!

Highlander   

For as long as but a hundred of us remain alive, never will we on any conditions be brought under English rule. It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom — for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 06:07:24 pm »
Hardwood, do you let the hens sit and raise the pouts?  We had 18 eggs and the hen sitting them broke everyone of them. Not one of them had anything forming inside, so, I don't know if they were fertilized.

Thanks
Cruachan!

Highlander   

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 06:27:27 pm »
I only raised them that one year Highlander and ate every egg the minute it was laid :evil: Haven't bothered with them since...those thing can really raise the feed bill! I've got wild ones walking through the property every day now (Osceolas) and set up a feeder for them to keep them around.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 07:11:13 pm »
I have Bronze wing Turkeys,they are terrible mothers. I incubate half of the eggs and let the hen sit on the others.  When they hatch in the incubator I simply put them under the hen at night.
I have watched my hens stand on the chicks numerous times and they mostly just ignore the poor little chicks.

I can't believe how stupid the chicks are around water, they will drown in an inch of water.

Just anyone know an easy way to remove those tendons which run from there feet to thighs.  I have never had an luck with removing them.

Cheers
Anybrew

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2013, 08:48:38 pm »
Thanks Anybrew, I raise Standard Bronze Turkeys, first year, and they are reportedly good mothers, just bad sitters.  They tend to break the eggs.  We let all the eggs stay in the nest and that was a mistake. Next time we'll do as you have said. The other issue is a small available breeding stock, only some 5000 total in the US. So I am hoping she will lay some wild fertilized eggs.  Heres  hoping!

Cruachan!

Highlander   

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 09:32:52 pm »
Cool Highlander, yeah some Wild genetics would be awesome for sure!!

I had a real hard time getting some Bronze Wing Turkeys here in Australia.  In the end I got some fertilised eggs and incubated them. 
I do enjoy watching them walk around my block.  It would be amazing to see them Wild though.

Good luck, I expect yours Hens will be laying soon.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2013, 04:11:38 pm »
Thought an update would be a goo idea. The hen that ran off is laying, I have collected 4 eggs and plan on incubating them and any more I can get. I have left her with three eggs and she was up on the nest this afternoon. So heres to hoping!
Cruachan!

Highlander   

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2013, 07:02:48 pm »
Yeah good stuff taking those eggs. She will probably get on and off the others for a week or more until she settles.  I get roughly 15 eggs per brood.

Cheers
Steve

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2013, 11:37:40 am »
MUst have been good!  This is what I discovered this morning, the wild Tom was up fighting with one of my Toms through the fence!

Cruachan!

Highlander   

Offline Anybrew

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 08, 2013, 06:41:42 pm »
Thats awesome!

Offline Highlander

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 08, 2013, 08:56:24 pm »
He was back up into the lower field below the pen later in the day. I did not see him until I went out to check the mail and then he scurried off into the woods.  Need to be more careful as I go out, noisy door!  On another note I have started incubating 6 eggs. I left 3 eggs in the nest so she should keep laying.   Heres to hoping we get some puolts!
Cruachan!

Highlander   

anything