Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Feeding 2:1 during Warm weather window?  (Read 1386 times)

Offline Matt J

• House Bee
Feeding 2:1 during Warm weather window?
« on: November 30, 2016, 09:44:13 am »
I saw someone post on a Facebook group that they were going to feed 2:1 while the weather here in the South is near 70 today. Wouldn't this create problems when the lows drop to the low 30s in a few days?  I was under the assumption that, not only does it have to be warm enough for them to take it, but they need time to cure and cap it.  Am I wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Feeding 2:1 during Warm weather window?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2016, 12:14:44 pm »
Matt,
You are right about being concerned about the weather changing before they get a chance to cure it. The problem is the amount of water evaporating in the hive and then dripping back down on the hive. If you have good insulation on top of your hive or properly leaning forward, I would not worry about it wit a day or 2 of cold weather.
This can and does happen with our weather if a tree blooms during a warm spell when the trees are confused by the weather.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2016, 06:18:35 pm »
I can't say how it works out in the South.  In the North it's a very bad idea...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Matt J

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2016, 07:02:06 pm »
This fellow is in South Carolina. I guess in Florida where 30s probably don't last long it may be ok, but in Alabama, we could stay In the 30s for a couple weeks at a time. Doesn't happen much, but I was guessing uncapped stores in 30 degrees is a bad idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2016, 08:16:48 am »
Beekeeping is like government should be... locally specific. That said I can't speak for you but here in NY if I was to feed I would use dry sugar. My solution to feeding is a little different than most. In the humid months of the summer I take 5 pound bags of sugar and I leave them open. With the high humidity by the end of the summer and the time that feeding may be needed I am left with a brick of sugar. Using foundation less frames, I just put it in the middle of some empty frames in a box on top. I could just set it on top of the top box of frames and put an empty box around it without frames but if I don't get to it early enough in the spring they can start building comb down from the top and make a mess. With the frames in place they just build come down like normal.
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline Mark Smith

• New Bee
    • Flatwoods Bee Farm
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 05:16:46 pm »
Bad idea at this time of year no matter what the temperature is. Too much moisture for the bees to deal with. If you need to feed, it is best to use fondant this time of year. I'm about 35 miles east of Charlotte, and if I need to feed syrup to get weight on a colony I start in Mid September and cut them off the middle of October. Hope this helped.

Offline Matt J

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2016, 09:44:09 am »
Bad idea at this time of year no matter what the temperature is. Too much moisture for the bees to deal with. If you need to feed, it is best to use fondant this time of year. I'm about 35 miles east of Charlotte, and if I need to feed syrup to get weight on a colony I start in Mid September and cut them off the middle of October. Hope this helped.

This is what I did.  I was amazed at how fast they took down gallons of 2:1 and capped it.  I think if they go through all of that, I will either do a candy board or feed dry sugar with the Mountain Camp method.