Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: How bad is this?  (Read 2027 times)

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
How bad is this?
« on: November 26, 2008, 11:09:28 am »
I had a good year with my bees, about 300# of honey harvested. 1 of my hives had 2 supers that were full of honey but not capped when I harvested. I left them on and meant to extract later. Well later came and gone and I still have not extracted. They are still on the hive and the temp is in the 20's. I know it is to late to take them off. What will bee the outcome of my ineptitude? Will the bees survive? Will it be to much space for them? ( 5 mediums high).

Offline doak

• Super Bee
Re: How bad is this?
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2008, 01:02:08 pm »
I can see only two problems.
#1, do you have an queen ex cluder on? if you do the queen will not be able to move up with the bees. If you don't have an ex cluder on no worry with that part.
#2.  there could be some intruders, (wax moths and/or hive beetles) move into the un-guarded area. other wise I don't see no problem. :) doak

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2008, 01:54:52 pm »
They should be fine as long as you don't have a queen excluder on.  They have enough food, anyway, so they won't starve. :roll:

What will likely happen, assuming that they are healthy, is that over the winter they will move up as they consume the honey.  Wherever they get to by spring, they will start raising brood there.  Then, as the honeyflow starts, they will fill it back in starting at the top.

Likely you will be able to get a lot of the honey back, just next summer.  And they will make your super comb dark, but that isn't a big deal.

Speaking of queen excluders, I realized recently that I had left one on.  I had to break in to the hive and the bees were partially through the queen excluder.  It was in the 30's and they were REALLY mad that I had the nerve to disrupt them!!!.  Probably almost AHB mad. If you have a QE you need to get it off, but you do NOT want to try to take honey off of the hive now if the bees are in the super.

Rick
Rick

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2008, 09:18:53 pm »
As others have said,  if you don't have a queen excluder on, they will be fine.   I've wintered many hives in 3 deeps.  In fact David Eyre recommends it.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2008, 10:28:48 am »
I do not use excluders, so hopefully all should be well. Thanks!

anything