Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Worst Bee Plants  (Read 4412 times)

Offline MrILoveTheAnts

• Field Bee
    • Biodiverse Gardens
The Worst Bee Plants
« on: June 23, 2008, 06:37:16 pm »
I nearly stopped dead when I saw this. This bee for reasons unknown decided to get nectar from a common Jersey Lily. A few plants out in the yard have produced hundreds of flowers and dozens of them at a time for the past five years. This is the first time I have EVER seen a bee in them. I mean I've never so much as seen a fly or beetle in them either.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v735/mrilovetheants/Bees%202008/Beeliy.jpg

So this brings us to our topic. What are some of the worst plants for bees?

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
Re: The Worst Bee Plants
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 09:34:47 pm »
I don't think there are 'worst plants' for bees.  Some they just don't bother with, because the nectaries are out of reach of their tongues.  Some they only take pollen from.  Some they ignore completely.  Keep a good variety going in your garden and you're bound to have plants that will make your girls happy!

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008, 01:42:14 am »
They have found a better nectar/pollen source.  Beautiful, most wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2008, 07:01:26 am »
My pansies never see any bee action, or fly action, or any other action for that matter.  It's odd, too, because I know they have a decent amount of nectar to give, and they flower year-round for 2+ years in my garden.  They are an especailly nice splash of color to ward off the wintertime blues.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008, 08:11:41 am »
Crepe Myrtles although beautiful, and they're in full bloom here in Louisiana, don't offer hardly anything at all in the form of nectar or pollen.

I would say the carnivorous ones have to be the worse of all for obvious reasons.

http://www.botany.org/Carnivorous_Plants/

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2008, 01:17:54 am »
   They're hitting the Crepe Myrtles this year.  Plenty of clover, herbs, Rose of Sharon, melons, vegetable, Accasia (-1sp), and other stuff that they are on also.  Might be how the spring started for the Myrtles this year.  The last time I saw them on this thick was...never since '91...whoa... :shock:
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2008, 01:56:18 am »
I have my little bog w/pitcher plants, they are blooming now.  I've not found bees in them but lots of flys, ants & gnat type things. ;) Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard