Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What are your girls working on now?  (Read 5556 times)

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
What are your girls working on now?
« on: July 07, 2004, 06:00:24 pm »
Hey all,
Do you ever check on flowers and stuff around your hives to see which are being worked?

My bees like the clover and sumac, along with fireweed in the area. And no doubt much more I never see.

It must be doing a good job of supplying them, because they've gone from a quart a day of syrup to a quart every 2-3 days.
Lesli

Offline Queen Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2004, 09:01:50 pm »
My girls are having a field day in my garden! We have about  4 acres of peas,corn, beans,watermelons and okra , 3 acres of sunflowers and little buckwheat and clover for them to work... Our clover is so tall now and I need to mow it --hopefully Sat.

Anonymous

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2004, 10:47:37 pm »
Sweet clover both white and yellow. Alsack clover and the mamoth plus golden rod, Thats right the golden rod is starting to bloom here. they are nuts over the bachlor buttons and veronica. they seem to like the yucca to.
 :D Al

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2004, 07:58:54 am »
Quote from: Queen Bee
My girls are having a field day in my garden! We have about  4 acres of peas,corn, beans,watermelons and okra , 3 acres of sunflowers and little buckwheat and clover for them to work... Our clover is so tall now and I need to mow it --hopefully Sat.

Do bees take pollen from corn? Just curious, since I have so many corn fields around here.
Lesli

Offline Queen Bee

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2004, 09:29:41 am »
My girls seem to love the 'tassels' of the corn... Not sure if the 'big' farmers grow hybrid or open pollen. corn. Our corn is the old fashion sweet corn..

Offline leominsterbeeman

• House Bee
    • http://www.leominsterbeeman.com
Nectar sources
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2004, 10:59:01 am »
Here in Red Sox Nation, my bees are working the clover, sumac and milkweed.  There is tons of milkweeds adjacent to my hives.  The corn here is not out yet, but last year I was fascinated watching them collect the pollen from the corn.  It was like a ballet.  They would move up and down around the top of the cornstalks.
Michael Keane
leominsterbeeman@comcast.net
http://www.leominsterbeeman.com

Offline Lesli

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2004, 11:15:59 am »
Quote from: Queen Bee
My girls seem to love the 'tassels' of the corn... Not sure if the 'big' farmers grow hybrid or open pollen. corn. Our corn is the old fashion sweet corn..

Great! Around here, they grow feed corn, for which I am very grateful, since it's unlikely they would spray it for pesticides. Cows don't demand pretty corn. :)
Lesli

Offline Finman

• House Bee
Re: What are your girls working on now?
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2004, 03:06:12 am »
If you look the road camera "VT 15 ANJALANKOSKI,KELTAKANGAS " is near my bee farm.  Turnip rape field is just started to bloom in the view of camera.  100 m to the right there live a fee farmer and bears visited  his yard 10 years ago.

I drive my car on this road. My two hive points are   10 km from this.  Now it is only turnip rape but  the yield from these fields is something 5 kg honey to nest per day.

About after one week fire flower starts blooming. You can see it everywhere in Finland, hundreds of hectars. Look at  the post scrictum.

I am just now at work in Helsinki 150 km from my bees. I can see from weather camera that it is morning 9:00, temperature is  18C and sun is shining.  I know that my slaver girls are at full work.

anything