Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!  (Read 10372 times)

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
« on: July 04, 2008, 11:10:00 am »
I am so frustrated right now!!!

First I accidentally cut a notch in all the 19 & 7/8ths boards, as if the frames were going to lay front to back instead of side to side.  Now, I'm going, well darn, oh well, guess I can just cut them down to the 16 & 1/4 size and now after cutting all of them, I realize that instead of cutting them to 16 and 1/4... ALL my side-boards are 16 & 1/8!!!!!  GRRR!!!

Now the only hope for me to fix it is to cut it down to a 5 frame nuc... but what the hell would I want with 4 nuc's?!?

It just makes me so mad I could scream!!  AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!!!   :-x

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: AAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2008, 11:45:59 am »
Hey Sarge, don't fret, those nucs are gems for sure, great for making splits with, late season or whenever!!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2008, 12:06:17 pm »
Yeah, but I don't need that many though...

So who wants a nuc box?  I'll have at least 1 or 2 extra to give away now.

Oh yeah, and I just realized... they're mediums... so it'd be a medium nuc instead of a deep.  *cry*

Offline BenC

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 12:48:38 pm »
Just go ahead and make the boxes at 16&1/8.  That little bit is nothing to worry about, I've got a few masterpieces like that and the bees use them fine.  Next time put the saw blade on the other side of the line  :-D  If your determined to have it dead-on, another option would be to cut it down to an 8-framer before cutting it all down to 5 frame nuc size.

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 12:58:00 pm »
Sarge,
Welcome to our world. One time I set up to run a bunch of boxes and end up with handles on the inside of my boxes. (on two sides anyway). I was so made I could spit... Matter of fact I think that I did spit, quite a bit that day. But it turned out nice. Now when removing those boxes I just have the bees lift them off for me from inside.  :-D Makes it really nice.
There is nothing more frustrating than finding a mistake that you could have prevented. Once I had to move a whole two car garage back about 4ft, after building the house and realizing that I had screwed that up. LIFE,,, I know that we are here to learn, I just wish I did not have to learn so much so fast.

This is the crane getting ready to pick up the garage and set in back 4ft. This screw up only cost me about $40K!!!!
Good luck sarge, It will work out. You will end up needing those for something and a slight smile with come across your face.
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 01:32:35 pm »
Just go ahead and make the boxes at 16&1/8.  That little bit is nothing to worry about, I've got a few masterpieces like that and the bees use them fine.  Next time put the saw blade on the other side of the line  :-D  If your determined to have it dead-on, another option would be to cut it down to an 8-framer before cutting it all down to 5 frame nuc size.

Oh I cut on the right side of the line... it's just that I actually marked each and every piece at the 1/8th mark instead of the 1/4th mark... twice... one mark on the top, one on the bottom.  For some reason my brain was telling me that the 1/8th mark was the 1/4th mark. 

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 01:33:15 pm »
Sarge,
Welcome to our world. One time I set up to run a bunch of boxes and end up with handles on the inside of my boxes. (on two sides anyway). I was so made I could spit... Matter of fact I think that I did spit, quite a bit that day. But it turned out nice. Now when removing those boxes I just have the bees lift them off for me from inside.  :-D Makes it really nice.
There is nothing more frustrating than finding a mistake that you could have prevented. Once I had to move a whole two car garage back about 4ft, after building the house and realizing that I had screwed that up. LIFE,,, I know that we are here to learn, I just wish I did not have to learn so much so fast.

This is the crane getting ready to pick up the garage and set in back 4ft. This screw up only cost me about $40K!!!!
Good luck sarge, It will work out. You will end up needing those for something and a slight smile with come across your face.

:shock:  I literally would have had a heart attack!

Offline Frantz

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 01:47:33 pm »
Yea well, lucky for me I am young and dumb. I prayed for a heart attack to get me out of the situation. But know such luck.. I was praying for anything that could have put me in the hospital for a couple of weeks till it was over. But you just have to put your head down and get through it. We came up with some pretty good ideas on moving it that saved me quite a few $$. If I wasn't footing the bill I would have enjoyed the challenge and the engineering part of it. It was a masterful feat to have accomplished what we did. $40K hurt though. Took all the fun right out of it.
Don't be yourself, "Be the man you would want your daughters to marry!!"

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 01:55:07 pm »
Yup.  Here I am ticked about the $12 in wood... lol

Actually, I'm more ticked that I did something so dumb.

Oh well, I just got done cutting up the next piece of wood, and every one of the 19 & 7/8ths fronts or backs came out absolutely perfect.  Less than 1mm of variance.

Oh well, you know what?  I at least can use those boards to make frame sides with... Or to practice making the box joints on.  I have a feeling I'll be going through a few pieces of wood figuring out those box joints.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 02:00:59 pm »
Painful experiences can make for great lessons. :'(

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 03:52:28 pm »
Oh I cut on the right side of the line... it's just that I actually marked each and every piece at the 1/8th mark instead of the 1/4th mark... twice... one mark on the top, one on the bottom.  For some reason my brain was telling me that the 1/8th mark was the 1/4th mark. 

That brain thing got me a while back. I wanted some things set at one and one half foot intervals. So I pull out the tape measure and my brain is telling me.... 1.5 feet. So I mark it one foot five inches.  :roll:  :roll: Had to go do it all over again.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 05:00:20 pm »
Having a dado all the way around wouldn't have hurt.  Now that you cut them to 16 1/8" that will work fine also.  Or you could cut all of them so your boxes end up 13 3/4"... and go to eight frame boxes.  That, of course, is what I'd do because I want 13 3/4".  I would NOT do it just because they are 1/8" too skinny.  It really doesn't matter.  I'm sure my boxes vary from 16 3/8" to 16 1/8" somewhere in the beeyard.  The bees will never notice.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2008, 07:32:26 pm »
Yeah, but I don't need that many though...

So who wants a nuc box?  I'll have at least 1 or 2 extra to give away now.

Oh yeah, and I just realized... they're mediums... so it'd be a medium nuc instead of a deep.  *cry*

Yeah, great, medium nucs.  That's what I like.  Last winter I kept 2 hives in 2 story medium 5 frame nucs and expanded them into 2 story 8 frames this spring.  Everything was going great until winter decided to stay around until June.  Lost both but have a suspicion they would have survived if I'd kept them in the nucs and gone to 3 stories.

Having a dado all the way around wouldn't have hurt.  Now that you cut them to 16 1/8" that will work fine also.  Or you could cut all of them so your boxes end up 13 3/4"... and go to eight frame boxes.  That, of course, is what I'd do because I want 13 3/4".  I would NOT do it just because they are 1/8" too skinny.  It really doesn't matter.  I'm sure my boxes vary from 16 3/8" to 16 1/8" somewhere in the beeyard.  The bees will never notice.

Also a good solution.  Where there's a need, there's a way, just needs the application of gray matter.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2008, 11:21:25 pm »
 Nice thing about woodworking, never too short, just may not fit what you are building right now. Goes in the "to be used later stack".
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 12:44:43 am »
"I cut it off and cut it off and it's still too short"...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2008, 07:07:21 am »
Take the ones that are too short, cut them in half. Now you make other board a bit too long and cut them in half. You then splice the long halves onto the short halves. That should get it back to the size you want and save the $12 wood.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline broke-t

• New Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2008, 11:00:13 am »
Depends on what you are cutting with, but if you are using a radial arm saw use a strip of wood and clamp it to the table next to the guide fence the needed distance from the saw.  Butt the lumber up to it and cut.  Every piece will come out exactly the same.

Know how you feel Jerrymac, I once ordered a bunch of precut fiberglass panels that needed to be 6 ft long. So I ordered them 60" and low and behold they were all a foot too short.

Johnny

Offline toolmaster

• New Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2008, 11:50:03 am »
Build what ever you can out of them. Bird houses, Swap Traps, Nucs. Fill your yard. Then give them to a neighbor or a family member that may be interested in beekeeping. I received a load of 1/2 plywood and some scraps of 3/4 from a neighbor. I am going to make the best hive I can out of it and give it back to them. The quality does not have to be great just uphold the good beekeeping name.

Every mistake it an opportunity to give to someone else.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2008, 12:19:08 pm »
Thank the Lord you have the gift of building things, even if not perfect! I'm afraid to use power saws so imagine what my projects look like.. :shock: My mind doesn't grasp what it takes, too much like a puzzle for me BUT what I do piece together will never fall apart! :roll: Toolmaster has the idea, gifts for everyone, they won't even notice any flaws or what it was supposed to be in the first place just grateful for the gift!  Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2008, 06:27:45 pm »
I used to be afraid of circular saws too.  But my hand saw named "bucking betty" cured me of that.  As you can tell from the name... it likes to buck and after a few times of that happening and not getting my hands cut off I realized that there was nothing to be afraid of as long as I was careful where I put my hands.