Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Prices for Honey in 2011  (Read 12061 times)

Offline snmyork

• House Bee
Prices for Honey in 2011
« on: June 06, 2011, 11:25:06 am »
Just wondering, what is the going price for honey this year? I already have plenty of people that want honey but would like to know what to price the pint ant quart jars.

Thanks,
Stephen

Offline Bobby2262

• New Bee
Re: Prices for Honey in 2011
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 11:50:02 am »
Stephen,
I get  $2.50 for a small squeeze bottle $5.00 for a 1 lb. squeeze bottle, $7.00 for a quart glass jar.
From what I have read others say, you have to charge what your area will pay or can pay.
Hope this helps
Bobby

Offline sterling

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 02:12:12 pm »
A friend of mine harvested some honey and bottled it in qts. and pints and sold it for $16. per qt. and $8. per pt. And said he could have sold 100# if he had it. This was just a couple weeks ago.

Offline njoylife10

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 05:26:54 pm »
We sell our pints for $8 and our quarts for $15.  We don't have a ton, but it sells out every time and I never have enough left over for ourselves, so we keep adding hives.  One lady bought 10 jars for Christmas gifts.  Wish I was on her list ;)  Tain't nothin' like homegrown honey.

njoylife10

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 06:04:20 pm »
Last year I had 102 pounds. I sold it for $3.50 for a half pound bottle and $6.00 for a one pound bottle. I sold out.  I lost my hives over winter so I didn't get anything this spring. But, I do have some (about 15 pounds) from a cutout. I will probably charge the same.

Offline msully

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:15:07 pm »
Last year I sold 12 oz bears for $5, pints for $6 and Quarts for $12.  Probably keep the prices the same this year.....

Mike
"Indecision may or may not be my problem" Jimmy Buffett

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2011, 09:24:13 pm »
Check out page 552 in the American Bee Journal this month for the average prices throughout each region in the country.  They change it every month.   Here in the South East glass quarts are going for between 5.79 - 12.00.  But in the Mountains out west they get up to 16.00.   Everything changes by the regions.  And it just gives you a ball park number to go on.   You will have you judge your market. 

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2011, 10:49:03 pm »
10 for a pint ( 20 oz by weight ) and 18 for a quart.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline hendro

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 06:11:18 pm »
I sell mine in 8 oz - $5, 1 lb - $9 and 1.5 lb for $13.  I have sold 3 lbs for $25 and the guy was happy to get it.  I sell out, no problem.  I find people like the smaller quantities and I get more $ per pound if I sell it in the smaller quantities.  People want a taste test.  I keep store bought honey and my honey and let them taste the difference.  I also sell Ross Rounds for $7 ea or 3 for $20.

Frankly, I'm surprised that beekeepers sell their honey so cheaply.  Beekeeping isn't cheap.  I had one guy say he could buy it cheaper in the store and I just told him to go ahead and buy the processed honey.  Raw, local honey is something that he can't always get so readily.  He was welcome to buy the garbage in the stores if he wanted to.  I have no problems selling my Ross Rounds.  I found many European, East Eurpeans and Asians want the raw unprocessed stuff and especially in honeycomb.  They say that if it's in honeycomb they know it isn't mixed with fillers.  Apparently they have a huge problem with that in their homelands.  I'm seeing it more and more here as well.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 06:34:33 pm by hendro »

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 07:30:58 pm »
Something to keep in mind when selling your honey, if you do not get to sell all you honey this summer/ Fall, put it up and save it.   We start getting calls for honey end of March/ April and people get upset because nobody have local honey available.   (They just don't understand bees)   My wife told me that she was putting honey up for these spring fling honey needers.   Talk about getting a premium price if you are the only person with local honey still around.   Right now, every beek and fruit stand is selling it.   Supply and demand.

Offline snmyork

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2011, 08:29:28 am »
I ended up selling pints for $8 and sold out of all I had. I did put some up for my family though but I do not think I have enough.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 08:43:23 am »
I get $6.00 per pound and sell out every year.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2011, 03:08:29 pm »
Clover SC,

It depends alot on your area, demand, and how available local honey is in the clover area. I started @ $5 in 2005 and plan to try $7 this year. Folks in my local association in Aiken get $8 a pint. I would probably have to sit on mine @ that price (but not sure never tried).

What few local roadside stands I have in this area sell supposedly local honey for  $6pt to $7. The closer you are to the mountains in the upstate and tourism the better price you can seem to fetch. As said above it is usually gone in winter so sit on it if you wish, get your price.

I sell alot of my honey @ work for $6pt. a guy I know in our association at the same work place sells his for $8pt. I sometimes know where his honey comes from ;). But that is the price he built his client base on, some with allergy problems.

A friend told me (not the one above) start out at the higher price, you can always drop back but it is harder to go up after you have set your price too low.

Also in SC (as I am sure in other states) some folks are suspected of buying and reselling honey from neighboring states as SC Home grown. They just don't have the hives to support the volume they are selling.

Hopefully if the new honey law passes next year, it will make it easier for beekeepers to peddle your honey @ Flea markets etc.
John 3:16

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2011, 04:19:37 pm »
I get 7.50 to 8 for 16 ounces of honey. Our hives and bottling areas have been inspected. Other (without inspections are getting 6.50 to 7 per#) People like to know the areas were inspected.   -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2011, 05:06:27 pm »
Never had a buyer ask but most know me personally.

Offline caticind

• House Bee
  • Nothing sweeter...
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 06:08:17 pm »
I'm not selling this year, but the local raw honey guy at the farmer's market up the street is selling wildflower pints for $10 and locust half-pints (his specialty) for $6. 
The bees would be no help; they would tumble over each other like golden babies and thrum wordlessly on the subjects of queens and sex and pollen-gluey feet. -Palimpsest

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2011, 07:30:10 pm »
I'm not selling this year, but the local raw honey guy at the farmer's market up the street is selling wildflower pints for $10 and locust half-pints (his specialty) for $6.  

Locust Half Pints ----Does locust bloom when nothing else is blooming in NC?

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 12:26:47 am »
In the mountains Locust blooms with Tulip Poplar, but you know everyone in NC sells Sourwood. There is more Sourwood sold than produced in my opinion. ;) Sucks for those of us that actually try to super our hives properly to capture good honey!

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 09:27:06 am »
In the mountains Locust blooms with Tulip Poplar, but you know everyone in NC sells Sourwood. There is more Sourwood sold than produced in my opinion. ;) Sucks for those of us that actually try to super our hives properly to capture good honey!

;) exactly ---- I see the same thing here, on occasion, with peach blossom honey and strawberry honey :?
No such thing --- everything in my area is suppose to be labeled Wildflower!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2011, 01:40:48 pm by sc-bee »

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 12:00:34 pm »
Last year I sold 12 oz bears for $5, pints for $6 and Quarts for $12.  Probably keep the prices the same this year.....

Mike

I sold mine for the same price as yours-sold out within a week. Next year its going up to $8 per pint and $15 per quart.