Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Flies at the entrance?  (Read 1339 times)

Offline windyridgeapiary

• New Bee
Flies at the entrance?
« on: July 11, 2009, 11:24:40 pm »
Is anyone having flies at the entrance board of their hives? The worst ones are green and land on the backs of the bees. Usually the bees chase at them but the fly just moves quickly away and then right back. I just started noticing them the last couple of days. I went out with a fly swatter and killed most of what where there tonight.

I have to brag on my Russian bees. I killed alto of flies and the bees never even fly over at me. I have been working them, lifting frames, checking for the queen and just the normal stuff with no veil, only gloves and I really don't need them. I will be changing to a soft leather work glove soon. I have not been stung, even in my gloves. I have never worked bees this gentle. Also the packages are 5 weeks old and ready for their second story. I can't wait until next spring. I should have plenty of honey if the weather cooperates. Russian bees are great!

Offline David LaFerney

• Field Bee
    • The Door Garden
Re: Flies at the entrance?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:58:49 pm »
I have to brag on my Russian bees. I killed alto of flies and the bees never even fly over at me. I have been working them, lifting frames, checking for the queen and just the normal stuff with no veil, only gloves and I really don't need them. I will be changing to a soft leather work glove soon. I have not been stung, even in my gloves. I have never worked bees this gentle. Also the packages are 5 weeks old and ready for their second story. I can't wait until next spring. I should have plenty of honey if the weather cooperates. Russian bees are great!

Where did you get them?
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Samuel Clemens

Putting the "ape" in apiary since 2009.

Offline windyridgeapiary

• New Bee
Re: Flies at the entrance?
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:11:17 am »
Two hives, the best ones, pure russians from Long Creek Apiaries and the hybrid russian hive was from Hardeman Apiaries.