Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drone's still???  (Read 2823 times)

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Drone's still???
« on: December 24, 2005, 05:51:25 pm »
went out to look at the hives today and saw a hive kicking out drones, thought they would have already done that but all 6 hive's still going strong.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Drone's still???
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2005, 06:20:15 pm »
All my hives still have drones...granted, there's still a honey and pollen flow going on.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
Drone's still???
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2005, 07:20:54 pm »
I haven't had a flow for about 2 month's
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Drone's still???
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2005, 08:03:36 pm »
Some of my ferals seem to keep drones more than the Italains.  I see a few all winter, but not very many.  Most were killed back in October or before.  Sometimes a queenless hive will keep more drones too.  Usually the Italians seem to kill them all off in the early fall.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline downunder

• House Bee
Drone's still???
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2005, 10:06:14 pm »
Keeping drones in queenless colonies (until mature) is a technique used by many artificial inseminators. You can get drone comb laid up in the hive you wish to breed from and then remove the frame and raise it in a queenless hive (with plenty of young workers).

They rarely throw them out. If there is no chance of a hive being able to raise a queen the only way they can get their genes through to the next generation is through drones laid by themselves (this is why we get laying workers).

We can utilise this survival technique as a method for keeping drones. They seem to treat any drone brood added the same way as their own providing the colony has been queenless for some time. You can keep these units going for ages by adding sealed brood weekly.

In Australia where the Winters are relatively mild they easily hold drones all winter this way (of cause feeding the hive syrup through the dearth peroids.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Drone's still???
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2006, 02:32:44 am »
Usually the Italians seem to kill them all off in the early fall.

I observed drones getting the axe in mid-September and they really got going in October.  It's entertaining to see.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Shizzell

• House Bee
Drone's still???
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2006, 11:05:36 am »
I observed drones getting the axe in mid-September and they really got going in October.

Poor drones.

anything