Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Video on How to Use Simple Solar Wax Melter  (Read 2411 times)

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
Video on How to Use Simple Solar Wax Melter
« on: June 28, 2007, 08:08:23 am »
I've put a video on my blog on how to use the world's simplest solar wax melter!  Hope it is helpful:

http://beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2007/06/video-on-how-to-use-simple-solar-wax.html

I am astounded every day with the little extras beekeeping brings into my life.  This solar wax melter is SO much fun and easy. 

As a result of its working so easily, I've bought two great double boilers on EBay to use for wax melting for candles, wax bars, etc.  Who knows what the next interesting adventure beekeeping will bring!

Linda T in Atlanta

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
Re: Video on How to Use Simple Solar Wax Melter
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2008, 07:04:36 pm »
Hi Tillie,
Could you use a 1 gallon ice cream pail for thewax to drip in?

And would it be better to paint the inside black or use aluminum foil on the inside to reflect light?

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2008, 01:25:12 am »
Sure, you could use anything that would fit into the styrofoam chest as long as you can still put the top on!

I do use aluminum foil to line the bottom these days and that helps in two ways - I think it ups the heat inside the chest and wax that sometimes drips off of the paper towel can be easily peeled off of aluminum foil - more easily than off of the bottom of the styrofoam.

It's a bare bones wax melter - so there are bound to be individual improvements that will help it do even better.

Linda T

Offline JordanM

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2008, 11:38:02 am »
Thanks, i will have to try it out in the spring being it is 20 Degrees here right now and we just got 1 foot of snow last night.

anything