Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Time to make the sauce!!  (Read 2901 times)

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Time to make the sauce!!
« on: September 09, 2007, 11:38:05 am »
Harvest time for tomatoes in  the garden. We'll be boiling down for our own sauce!

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Time to make the sauce!!
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2007, 05:40:21 pm »
Your kitchen looks so cheery. Have fun. Do you have a good recipe you would like to share. I am never happy with the sauce I make, so I just use the store bought kind.

Thanks
annette

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2007, 11:08:53 pm »
My wife has just started her tomato seedlings. We don't start to harvest until January.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 03:59:35 pm »
I put up three quarts of arrabiatta sauce and will be making some sweet gravy tonite! My romas tomatoes were astounding this year. I have never made sauce from the "round " varieties of tomatoes in your pot. Only the traditional style roma. YUMMY!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2007, 04:19:52 pm »
we make about 75-100 quarts every 2 years out of round tomatoes (bigger better boy, better boy, Roma, etc)
all you have to do is get your quarts steamed and ready and add a tables spoon of salt to each jar, the cut tomatoes up and cook slowly until good and hot( slow boil and after a few minutes of slow boil ) then put into jars and seal tightly, you can also turn the jars upside down and they seal faster..... we make all tomato cooking like chilly and spaghetti, etc.  out of these jars,,,,,,   good eating
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2007, 05:00:41 pm »
i grow san marzanos and whatever i don't sell we make into sauce and freeze. they make sweet sauce with little waste.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 10:52:58 am »
Hee haw!!!    Good for you all!!  Isn't harvest time the most wonderful thing in the world.  The months of food growing in our earth, knowing what preservatives we don't put on our kitchen tables in the winter, wholesome, healthy, what more could you ask!!!

I just put down 30 dozen cobs of Jubliee supersweet corn (sh2).  Man, my mouth is watering.  I take the corn off the cob and freeze it, (of course after the blanching process).  I only heat the corn when I need it from the freezer, tastes just the same as when it was first put down!!!  Yeah!!!

I am right now in the process too of doing tomatoes, cooked and then the jars pressure cooked for speed.  I cook the tomatoes, remove the excess water (and freeze that water for broth for soups and stews in winter), then process.  In another pot I cook the celery (never knew how easy that grew until this year) and onions, put about 1/3 of this mixture in with the tomato slosh and then I have the ready made spaghetti (or whatever) sauce ready, sitting on the shelf, only a moment away.  Yeah to all of us who make our own food!!!!  Best of this beautiful day, beautiful life, great life.  CIndi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything