Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Queens and Drones  (Read 3114 times)

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
Queens and Drones
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:29:59 pm »
May be a stupid question but here goes.  I am planning on requeening a few of my hives this fall with russians.  If she is sold as a mated queen and produces more offspring, will the drones of this now russian hives mate with queens from other hives giving me italian/russian crosses?  Or do the drones pretty much just stay with the pheremones that they are used to?

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Queens and Drones
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 06:23:53 pm »
They will cross with who ever what ever is out there.   They are not picky.   If they stayed with the same kind, we would not have AHB or any of the crosses that we have today.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 08:35:34 pm »
Yeah, those drones aren't too picky!

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2010, 08:38:10 pm »
Ya, I can see 2 drones out there looking for some action.   "Hey look at that",  "Ya, I'd hit that."   Just like boys.

Offline scdw43

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2010, 09:23:00 pm »

They will cross with any bees in a three to five mile radius.
Winter Ventilation: Wet bees die in hours maybe minutes, no matter how much honey is in the hive.

Offline BjornBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 10:54:45 pm »

They will cross with any bees in a three to five mile radius.

:shock:

I have found the queens go just as far as they need too, and are not set by a programmed distance. But more from where the nearest DCA is located. I think as selected by nature over many years, where the next feral hive may be a bit of a distance away, the queen is ABLE to fly a mile or two. I seriously doubt any claim of queens flying anything close to 5 miles. Most information on drone saturation for breeding programs mentions outyards at 1/2 or 1 mile distances. This may be much more in line with how far a queen flies to mate.
www.bjornapiaries.com
www.pennapic.org
Please Support "National Honey Bee Day"
Northern States Queen Breeders Assoc.  www.nsqba.com