Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Division/Feeder boards...?  (Read 3232 times)

Offline CJ

• House Bee
Division/Feeder boards...?
« on: April 12, 2013, 02:33:17 am »
Hi all,

Beginner question; Making some division/feeder boards with holes in them so I can feed using inverted 4.6L buckets inside. My question is should I make them to take 2 buckets or 1? The only reason I was thinking about 2 (other than being able to fit 2) was to halve the disturbance to the bees when it comes to frequency of filling them back up. My main concern is that the syrup will ferment before they have consumed it all.
Any advice would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
CJ

Offline yantabulla

• House Bee
Re: Division/Feeder boards...?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2013, 06:56:27 am »
It would depend on the strength of the bees.  I don't think I would be putting 9 litres of syrup onto a 8 frame single super of bees.  Disturbance to the bees is unlikely to be a big problem here unless you are in a very cold place.  More information needed.

Offline CJ

• House Bee
Re: Division/Feeder boards...?
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2013, 07:49:22 pm »
It did seem like a lot to put on.
Only 2 hives (8 frame deeps). One is 3 boxes (about 40,000), one is 2 (about 15-20,000). They did both have about a super of capped Honey each but started eating it about 3 weeks ago so i thought i should try and keep them topped up between now and winter. The hives are out past Yass (NSW) so its still +20 degrees every day but the mornings are already getting down around the 4's. Last winter we got to about -12.

I guess my two main questions really are how quickly does syrup go bad (2:1) and how quickly can the bees consume it..?

anything