Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees in Big Birdhouse - Extract now or later?  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Grandma_DOG

• House Bee
  • Build it, and they will comb.
    • LearningBeekeeping
Bees in Big Birdhouse - Extract now or later?
« on: September 28, 2009, 02:32:41 pm »
I'm going to try to pick up a ladies birdhouse with bees.  But given that it is fall, I'm not sure if I should attempt the removal now or wait till spring.

Ideas?
Here is my new book on Swarm Trapping at http://learningbeekeeping.com/beekeeping-articles/how-to-swarm-trap/ and follow me on youtube at OutOfaBlueSky

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bees in Big Birdhouse - Extract now or later?
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2009, 02:47:19 pm »
I'd wait.  put the birdhouse in a nice protected place, and see if they make it until spring.  unless it's a mc-birdhouse it's probably a pretty small hive?  it will have a better chance of making it where it is.  see if you can figure out a way to feed it without causing robbing.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2009, 03:32:59 pm »
I agree I had a small hive in a birdhouse make the winter then did the cutout in the spring worked out fine

Keith

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2009, 06:19:10 am »
I would wait also. Now if they are absolutely busting out at the seams, you could attach a box of some sort, perhaps a nuc, to give them more room to spread out if they need to, to prevent an abscond.

I've overwintered nucs before just fine.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2009, 11:16:20 am »
GrandmaDog, hey that is cool!!!  Funny how the bees will go into just about anything to make their beautiful little home. I would love to see a picture of this, is that possible?  Have that most wonderful and beautifully great day, health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything