Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Coyote problems  (Read 4372 times)

Offline Beester

• New Bee
Coyote problems
« on: February 14, 2008, 08:27:58 pm »
We moved to a different home over the winter and we've been seeing coyotes in the fields by our house almost on a daily basis. Has anyone ever had problems with them bothering your hives? They've kept their distance so far.
Terry

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: Coyote problems
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2008, 08:44:42 pm »
My hives are in an area where we have many many coyotes. We can hear them in back of the house every evening. They do not seem to bother the hives.

Annette from Placerville California

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2008, 08:57:35 pm »
nope.  they eat cats and lure your dogs out so that they can kill them, but they don't bother the hives.  bears and raccoons get into the hives. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2008, 09:22:46 pm »
We have coyotes that come close to our house at times and there hasn't been a problem.

they eat cats

I need to go find my wife's cats.  Be right back....  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAA
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline Beester

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2008, 09:23:28 pm »
Thanks very much for the replies. I guess I can rest easy and just enjoy their antics and night time calling.
Terry

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2008, 11:24:27 pm »
Oh Bassman, you are baaaddd! :)
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 12:22:45 am »
I like sitting out listening to the coyotes. No problems. Haven't lost bees, cats, or dogs to them.

One year I think they kept taking the water melons until I put an electric fence up.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 09:46:15 am »
About two years ago when I was outside talking with my mother-in-law and wife out in our driveway, two of them came running off the hill.  Sally, my Border Collie, started to take off after them and the coyotes ran away.  Luckily Sally stopped right away when I called her.  As anyone with Borders know, once they have their minds set on something, they are not easily distracted.  I am sure she would have lost that fight.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline CBEE

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2008, 09:56:41 am »
No hive probs with the yotes... but the yotes have a prob with me :-D

Offline Fannbee

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2008, 10:13:00 am »
A month ago, a fox ran in front of my car as I was turning into my driveway.  Right behind it was a coyote.  I honk and turn my car headlights on the coyote and was able to distract it from the fox. 
Chuck and Fran

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2008, 11:12:12 am »
skunks can be a problem too. They like to eat bees frequently and you dont notice as they dont knock the hive over, just eat bees at nite. Your population will dwindle and if you're not observant, you'll just lose a hive w/o knowing why. Coyotes are great house pet killers.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2008, 11:17:47 am »
jerrymac, they took my pumpkins!  i had a couple that i had pitched out and they spent a couple of night dragging them off.  they were pretty big pumpkins!
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2008, 12:11:06 pm »
We have tons in the grassy-pasture type areas...I see cat paws & other "domestic"  bits of hair & parts frequently on my walks by the flume....They don't come into the neighborhood much though anymore, too many good fences & big dogs running about! Not many skunks anymore either, the possums moved in & compete for food resources.  We do have lots of racoons..they are mean & more powerful than they look! Tore the heck out of the neighbors border collie. One was pesking my chix in the middle of the night so I ran out in my nighty..bare feet grabbed a rake & was whacking it like a pinyata..it had run up a tree...I then realized when it was bristling up  growling that maybe it wasn't such a good idea to be UNDER the tree so went further away & sprayed w the hose & plunked rocks at it..I hadn't met my friend "Kimber" yet....now I can plunk em from my deck! :evil:

Jody
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline sonnybee

• New Bee
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2008, 06:52:59 pm »
I like to shoot the suckers!

Offline wayne

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2008, 08:01:28 pm »
 They can be a real problem and it is worse when the pups are born in the spring and they need more food.

http://www.stopindianacoyotes.com/
I was born about 100 years too early, or to late.