Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Corn and soybeans  (Read 2750 times)

Offline Tyrone

• New Bee
Corn and soybeans
« on: December 26, 2005, 12:35:51 pm »
Hi everyone.  New guy here.  I became curious about beekeeping a couple of years ago and bought some books on the subject.  (I have lots of books on various subjects because I get curious about things and I buy books to learn enough to satisfy the curousity.)  I decided against doing anything further about beekeeping until a co-worker brought it up the idea a few days ago of putting some hives on his acreage and that got the juices flowing again.  I've started reading the books again and I haven't been able to find the answer to my one question. (The one queston I have for now.)  I have a rural acre a few miles from town and I've thought about putting some hives there.  My acre is surrounded by corn and soybean fields. There are very few farmers raising cattle or other livestock in this part of Iowa anymore so there are no hay fields to speak of so no clover. Where would my bees go to gather nectar? Soy beans do flower but I can't imagine what that honey would taste like. I have a few trees on the acre and a lot of weeds but there is nothing else for miles. Could I be successful if I placed a couple of hives on my property.  TIA........Steve

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Corn and soybeans
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2005, 01:14:03 pm »
>I have a rural acre a few miles from town and I've thought about putting some hives there. My acre is surrounded by corn and soybean fields. There are very few farmers raising cattle or other livestock in this part of Iowa anymore so there are no hay fields to speak of so no clover. Where would my bees go to gather nectar? Soy beans do flower but I can't imagine what that honey would taste like.

Soybean honey is great.  It produces well too, most years.

> I have a few trees on the acre and a lot of weeds but there is nothing else for miles. Could I be successful if I placed a couple of hives on my property. TIA........Steve

I'm in the middle of corn and soybeans also.  There is an alfalfa field down the road, but they cut it as soon as it blooms.  Don't underestimate how much nectar the weeds in the ditches will make, not to mention the locust trees etc.

The bees will forage the 8,000 acres around you.  They will probably do very well.

You can also plant some clover and chickory and goldenrod in the road right of ways for two miles in every direction.  That's a lot of area in itself.

I have about 30 hives or more (hard to say with all the mating nucs I make and then conbine) in my home yard.  You probably won't have near that many.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Tyrone

• New Bee
Corn & soy beans
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2005, 03:52:23 pm »
Thanks for your reply.  My acre has been in the family for over 40 years.  It was an old county school property that my dad bought in the mid 60s.  We've done nothing with it for over 25 years except drop off brush for cover for rabbits and other critters and pay the $10 or so in property taxes each year.  I should probably do something productive with it.  I think I might take the plunge this year and get a couple of hives.  I've ordered a video so that I can see the beekeeping process a little better and of course I have my books and now this forum.  Thanks again for the info.

Offline amymcg

• Field Bee
    • http://www.mcglothlinmusic.com
Corn and soybeans
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2005, 08:57:00 am »
Tyrone,

You may want to do a search for beekeeping clubs in your area.  They would be a great resource. Most of them have bee schools in the winter or would be able to pair you up with someone experienced to get you going.

Good luck!

Amy

Offline Tyrone

• New Bee
Corn and soybeans
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2005, 01:09:15 pm »
Thanks Amy.  I have done a search to find some clubs in my area but the closest is about 90 miles away.  I work evenings so it would probably be difficult to get time to attend one of their meetings but I have heard there are a few people closer to home who have hives and I'm going to try to find them and see what info I can get from them.  Thanks,  Steve

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Corn and soybeans
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2005, 09:57:39 pm »
Where, in Iowa are you?
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
-------------------

Offline Tyrone

• New Bee
Corn and soybeans
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2005, 04:53:48 am »
Clarion.  It's 17 miles west of I-35 in north central Iowa and about 80 miles north of Des Moines.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Corn and soybeans
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2005, 07:45:19 am »
Well, that rules out the ones on the West end, in Omaha and Lincoln and the ones on the East end near Bettendorf, that only leaves the central part, Des Moines and that's still 80 miles.  :(  Sorry.
-------------------