Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Buying egg cartons  (Read 12541 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Re: Buying egg cartons
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 09:19:34 pm »
Probably different parts of the country has different meanings.

Danno, if I didn't have chickens doing about the same thing I'd buy eggs from you :)
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2013, 08:54:48 am »
The yokes in my eggs are a deep orange color.   Blueboys $1.00 store eggs are yellow

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2013, 03:27:31 pm »

we dont use the term open range here in Michigan.   Cheap eggs come from birds that live there lives in small wire cages with auto feeders and water.  Cage free simply means they have a small pen to go into with dirt to scratch around in.   They eat everything green in the pen in just a day or two.  Free range means they are free to go where every they want.  No cage or pen.   Mine hens have a 16 X 16 ft hen house with the door open to the back field.   They spend there days all over the place.  They go back in the field and eat corn from my deer feeder and the next hour they are in the hog barn eating and scratching and they eat every bug and worm they stumble on to.  When they need to lay they make a mad dash back to the hen house.
So the question Jim is what do you consider "open range"

That's funny I never said they were inexpensive

I do know that this is a local term "open range" and yes you describe it very well.
The other two terms are terms used in the industrial all the time and maybe the only ones that USDA recognizers.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2013, 03:31:36 pm »
Tractor Supply sells them. I don't know the price, sorry.

$0.49 @ Carton
http://www.tractorsupply.com/en/store/one-dozen-farm-fresh-eggs-carton

I know it's a it may be expensive for some LOL

I was talking about the price of the carton not the eggs.

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2013, 04:57:34 pm »
Jim
the cheap egg comment was ment for blueboy not you.   He said he saw eggs for 1.00 a doz in the store

Offline Modenacart

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2013, 08:32:06 pm »
The best thing is know the farm you get your eggs from.  When our chickens aren't laying we get our eggs from a farm that has pens but the chickens can walk around. The eggs are $2 a dozen.

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2013, 11:07:18 pm »
The yokes in my eggs are a deep orange color.   BlueBees $1.00 store eggs are yellow
Bravo to Danno for emancipating the chickens. X:X  I sure don’t see anything wrong with that.  It might even be a good cause to get Greenpeace working on.  The only problem I see is trying to sell said eggs to the consumer for 300% more money (than the grocery store) when most people believe all eggs have basically the same nutritional value. 

As for the color of the egg yokes, I don’t care what color they are since I don’t eat the yokes.  At 180mg of cholesterol per egg yoke I don’t see the point.  Though I’m sure some beeks have their own theories on nutrition too .....   

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2013, 09:43:37 am »
Blueboy as I said before you are such a tool!!!   First off I don't sell eggs anymore but if I did I would charge  300% or more above store bought.   For years I kept a self service frig out on the driveway and sold 5 to 10 doz, 7 days a week.    As for freeing the chickens its a win win situation.   They eat 1/2 as much feed and the produce a far better product that not only looks better but taste better.    You wouldn't understand this blueboy because you have no taste.   Plus it makes for happy hens that lay more.   
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 10:04:02 am by danno »