Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Beekeeping Ethics  (Read 11530 times)

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
Re: Beekeeping Ethics
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2014, 05:48:49 pm »
GSF, or tell him ever since your bees died of American Foul Brood you've been trying to raise more but they all keep dying for some reason.
[/quote]

X:X :lau:

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2014, 09:21:03 pm »
O.K. Thanks everyone for your support!  I think I'll try a peace offering first.  I like to keep in good standing with my neighbors.  Its nice to know that the neighbors are keeping an eye on one's property when your away.  That said, having my swarm "birdhouses" lol , in use is the only way I can afford to acquire honeybees, raising a young family and all.  I know its a slow road because I've only caught one swarm in three years!  But I have a lot of patience on my side.  Regards, Chris "Edgy"   

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2014, 09:40:51 pm »
Edgy, you have a good point. If that don't work there's always the puppy method...
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2014, 10:12:40 pm »
GSF O.K. if it don't work I'll send him your regards.  lol

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 04:12:40 am »
Take them down and store them in your yard and they will still work and still attract bees eventhough they aren't up in the trees.

Sure we all should be good neighbors, but even our neighbors should also be held to the same standard. It works both ways  :idunno:

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 07:04:02 am »
Thanks Edward,  that's an option I could use. 

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2014, 07:57:21 am »
I hate it when beehavers gets angry when their abused and neglected bees swarm or abandon them and they comes at you accusing that you took their bees. It is a reason why I don't make swarm traps and I only catch swarms "if" someone asks me to get that swarm in their property. Even if my apiary is miles away from other beek's hives some people still just want to find someone to blame on their misfortune. I experienced losing bees because of swarming but NEVER did I go to beekeepers nearby accusing them of stealing my bees.
I hope you'll make peace with your neighbor, co'z having a grumpy neighbor is pain in the neck.  :-P
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2014, 08:59:03 am »
Cool thread, lots of advise from all directions!  

As most Beeks find out right away or eventually come to understand, bees are 'wild' insects that humans found methods to relatively control with certain limitations, primarily by providing suitable housing.  That is about the extent of our most basic input into their lives and our relationships with them.

It is the 'casting of swarms', despite our best efforts at prevention, that always remind us how 'wild' our bees really are.  

With that perspective in mind;  I personally believe that "Swarms are FREE" for the taking by anyone with a trap set out and offer this advise for the 'new' neighbor, besides being more neighborly  ;), build some traps for themselves, (or 'you' could build him one for a 'welcome' gift) as others have also advised.  GOOD LUCK, Sure hope it all works out…..you did say the neighbor was a newbee, just might take some time....
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 09:32:06 am by T Beek »
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2014, 09:31:25 am »
Don't burn bridges with the neighbor. You have a hobby in common. This is something you can build on. Why not work together? Help him build swarm traps to put on his property. Agree that the more traps you guys have out, the better chance both of you have of catching a swarm from either individual's hive. Mark the queens differently so that a swarming queen's marking will tell you who she belongs too. Agree that a swarm with a marked queen goes back to the one who marked her, regardless of who's trap she went to. Unmarked queens in a swarm, it goes to the owner of the trap. Bee patient. Talk to one another. Talk about the fact that traps won't induce swarming.

You may think it would feel really good to tell him to mind his own business, but it would feel even better to "turn the other cheek" and make a friend and fellow beek.

Offline chux

• House Bee
« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2014, 09:33:17 am »
By the way...you said you are raising a family. How you respond to this neighbor and the relationship you build with or against them, will be watched and learned by your family. This is a teachable moment for them.

Offline T Beek

• Super Bee
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2014, 09:33:47 am »
Don't burn bridges with the neighbor. You have a hobby in common. This is something you can build on. Why not work together? Help him build swarm traps to put on his property. Agree that the more traps you guys have out, the better chance both of you have of catching a swarm from either individual's hive. Mark the queens differently so that a swarming queen's marking will tell you who she belongs too. Agree that a swarm with a marked queen goes back to the one who marked her, regardless of who's trap she went to. Unmarked queens in a swarm, it goes to the owner of the trap. Bee patient. Talk to one another. Talk about the fact that traps won't induce swarming.

You may think it would feel really good to tell him to mind his own business, but it would feel even better to "turn the other cheek" and make a friend and fellow beek.

X:X X:X
"Trust those who seek the truth, doubt those who say they've found it."

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #31 on: February 18, 2014, 09:56:52 am »
Thanks, chux.

:goodpost:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BeeDog

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: February 18, 2014, 10:01:04 am »
If you are member of a local beeks club try to invite your neighbor who is also a beekeeper to join your club in that way you will be best buddies.  :mrgreen:
It is highly recommend that split be done with only strong healthy hives that have at least two Brood Chambers with Brood in all stages of development. Frames with capped Brood should be split evenly between the two hives.

Offline ziffabeek

• House Bee
« Reply #33 on: February 18, 2014, 10:20:20 am »
Chux wins this thread!! :th_thumbsupup:

Good reminder to me that there is always a third way if we calm ourselves and think about it. 

Thanks!

love,
ziffa

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: February 18, 2014, 10:41:52 am »
If they are not obnoxious I vote for chux ´s solution  :cheer:

mvh Edward  :-P

Offline Satch

• House Bee
  • Grandpa and Brandon in the hives
« Reply #35 on: February 18, 2014, 01:51:06 pm »
If they are not obnoxious I vote for chux ´s solution  :cheer:

If they are obnoxious, burn their house down :roll:

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #36 on: February 18, 2014, 07:58:56 pm »
Putting all joking aside (if I can), try to make peace with your neighbor. It could very well be that this person has some misconceptions about swarm traps. Maybe try to enter into a conversation with them about bees such as; Are you going to do so and so at a certain time, or When do you plan to inspect your hive - offer some help.

Anyway, the best of luck to you.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Edgy

• House Bee
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2014, 01:03:01 am »
Thanks again for all the great advice!  Making extra traps for him is an excellent idea. I'll take a couple over to him as a peace offering.  Regards, Chris "Edgy"

Moots

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2014, 08:41:35 am »
Thanks again for all the great advice!  Making extra traps for him is an excellent idea. I'll take a couple over to him as a peace offering.  Regards, Chris "Edgy"

Edgy,
When I was a kid growing up, my Mom had a saying that she used quite often, she would tell us, "If you want a monkey, you can go and buy yourself one".  Translated to today's generation, I would say it's the equivalent of telling someone, "Don't try to play me".

Point being, the last thing I would do is make this guy swarm traps, or anything else till he changes his attitude.  Why reward poor behavior?  This guy acts like a jackass, and your response is to bring him gifts.  :?
What kind of message does that send?  Don't be an enabler!  :)

I'm not saying lower yourself to his level and create your own version of the Hatfield's and McCoy's, I'd certainly be polite and cordial.  But gifts to reward his bad behavior.....definitely NOT!

Good Luck!

Offline edward

• Queen Bee
« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 09:58:22 am »
I'll take a couple over to him as a peace offering.

Who broke the Peace?

As I understand he moved in after your traps that you've had up for Three years?

Also you have caught at least one swarm with your traps Before he arrived?

So because he moved in you cant trap any future swarms , even if they are not from him?

My position is that beekeepers that let there bees swarm in an urban area are incompetent and cause a nuisance if there bees wined up in someones house. Causing a costly cut out that results in destruction of a wall or roof.

anything