Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: modifying my extractor to electric please help!  (Read 3241 times)

Offline newbee07

• House Bee
modifying my extractor to electric please help!
« on: July 28, 2007, 01:50:05 am »
 :-\ I have converted my extractor to electric with a split phase 110 ac/dc motor. It is a 1/2 hp, and i have it mounted to a 2x6 vertically to the extractors side and a belt running to the center pully on the basket. The problem i'm having is how can i build a slack adjuster or a way to start the motor full speed and gradually increase th speed of the basket. I installed a speed controll but it is mad for universal brush motors only and it gets the motor hot. Any pics out there would help alot or any straight forward plans that may work. I have 1 week to complete a working project, please help.

thanks

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
Re: modifying my extractor to electric please help!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2007, 12:29:53 am »
Take an extra pully, mount it with a handle so that the tension can be taken up in intervals.  A little tension allows the belt to slip while still rotating the extractor.  More tension increases the spend until at full tension it moves at the same rpm as the motor.  It can be hooked up with either a push or pull tension.  The pull allows for a longer belt and therefore more increments of adjustment.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2007, 01:20:04 am »
I would be careful with a tension system. Depending on how fast your motor runs you may get some belt deterioration which could cause you to get some rubber particles in your honey. I just took my extractor apart with the intent on motorizing it also. I am electing this year to just hook a adjustable speed power drill up to the shaft. I just need to figure out a way to make sure that the drills chuck does not slip on the shaft and get metal shavings in the honey. I think so long as I start it slowly it will not be a problem, but I am still brainstorming to come up with a more full proof way of doing it.
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2007, 02:21:15 am »
here's mine, its not close up but it has like a tension wing nut on it that works like a clutch, it has 2 belts, see the big wing nut to the right hand side.... as I tighten the nut it spins faster.....

its a 12-20 frames from Kelly, 1996 model ;)

THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline newbee07

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2007, 11:52:27 am »
I think i figured it out, I made a 5/8 pulley and am using a 4" pulley on the extractor. motor is spinning 1725 b and no slipping on bely it turns 288rpm. But i have an adjustable control from 0 to ful i had mounted on it also and it works even better. I have a piece of white plate under the drives and there are no rubber particles showing yet. I am making a fully enclosed belt /pulley gaurd for it als just in case of particales.    Thanks

Offline Greg Peck

• House Bee
    • GregsBees.com
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2007, 10:08:12 pm »
Newbee can you post some pics of your set up? I am going to try to make something for next year. I used a drill this year and it worked great but it would save time not having to stand there and run the drill if I had something set up to turn on and let it do its thing.

Thanks
"Your fire arms are useless against them" - Chris Farley in Tommy Boy
Semper Fi
www.gregsbees.com www.secondfast.com/gregsworkshop/ www.secondfast.com/bees

Offline Jacmar

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2007, 07:17:10 pm »
Newbee07 and Greg Peck
Here is link to ebay with a pretty good picture of the set up that is also on manufactured extractors. It looks like mine that has 2" pulley on the motor to a 4" pulley in the center with a 2"pulley underneath it and then to a 4" pulley on the extractor shaft. Between the 4" pulley on top and the 2" pulley underneath they place a squeeze washer. The center shaft has a wing nut for tightening the two pulleys together which will give  you a variable speed. The tighter you do the wing nut up the faster the output to the 4" pully on the extractor shaft. The two pulley's with the squeeze washer are free turning on the fixed shaft.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HONEY-EXTRACTOR-Build-Your-Own-Better-and-Cheaper_W0QQitemZ150159855875QQihZ005QQcategoryZ46527QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

If you need more info pm me and I will take photo's and do a drawing.

Jack
"The key to life is to Die Young at a very Old Age"

anything