Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Pollen in November?  (Read 4662 times)

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
Pollen in November?
« on: November 06, 2005, 03:16:40 pm »
I was taking some photos yesterday of this hive and sure enough they were bringing in pollen. Where would they get it at this time of  the year?

"To bee or not to bee"

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Pollen in November?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2005, 03:22:19 pm »
We get pollen down here all year round.  Actually, some of the pollen my bees were bringing in yesterday had the exact same color as the pollen on your bees...that should narrow your search.

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Re: Pollen in November?
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2005, 03:32:32 pm »
Quote from: newbee101
Where would they get it at this time of  the year?
]

That is the most usual color of pollen: willows, pine, hay, turnip rape,

Offline newbee101

• House Bee
    • http://www.acmepainting.com
Pollen in November?
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2005, 03:42:55 pm »
The only thing I see yellow around here, is leaves.
"To bee or not to bee"

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Pollen in November?
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2005, 04:37:18 pm »
Quote from: newbee101
The only thing I see yellow around here, is leaves.

BUt move your eyes down and you see flowers and yellow pollen.

- But lets not joke: Bees do not take polen from water-lily.

Offline Kris^

• Field Bee
Pollen in November?
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2005, 05:10:08 pm »
My bees were bringing in oodles of orange pollen today.  Dunno where they were getting it, either.

-- Kris

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
Pollen in November?
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2005, 06:17:00 pm »
I won't be getting any orange pollen down here untill January and February when the orange trees start blooming...yes, Orange ( the fruit tree) pollen is orange( the color).

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Pollen in November?
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2005, 06:46:52 pm »
Just the past couple of days I have noticed five or six different flowers (weeds) still in bloom around here. Then today I watched a bee searching some weeds that don't have flowers but do produce pollen. Or If they have flowers I can never see them.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline lee

• House Bee
    • http://budsbees.com
Pollen in November?
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2005, 08:11:33 pm »
yes and my bees where bring it in to. we should bee getting some snow now. but it is warm here to, :o  not good for deer hunting

Offline mark

• House Bee
Pollen in November?
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2005, 08:43:14 pm »
goldenrod,  aster,  mums......

Offline steveb

• New Bee
Pollen in November?
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2005, 12:10:20 am »
I would guess Mums.
Around here up until a hard freeze Mums are about the only thing still in bloom this time of year.
SteveB

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
Pollen in November?
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2005, 07:42:44 am »
Around here, at least until night before last nights heavy freeze, we were looking at dahalia pollen.  I haven't seen any bees on mums at all.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

Offline Tobikiri

• New Bee
Pollen in November?
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2005, 11:27:55 am »
I just bought a Laurel bush that's blooming and my bees seem to love.
I've got tons of mums blooming too, but only thing I see working those are yellow jackets.

There are also some bushes in the parking lot where I work that are blooming. The bees love those. I have been told, and internet pictures confirm that it is Osmanthus. But the guy at the garden center says it's not osmanthus.  Either way, it smells just like the Laurel, and just as powerful, so maybe it's a type of Laurel.

Bees like it, that's all I care about.

Offline Dick Allen

• House Bee
Pollen in November?
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2005, 12:12:34 am »
Could your bees be bringing in dandelion pollen? Orange colored pollen comes from dandelions, too. I know the main dandelion bloom is in the spring, but some blossoms can be seen throughout the summer.  About three weeks ago, another beekeeper here in the southcentral Alaska region was seeing some orange pollen coming into his hive. Not a lot, but still bees were coming in with it in their baskets. Nearby the hive were some dandelions in bloom. Since we’re much farther north than Connecticut that would have put us somewhere about the same, season-wise, as early November down there in the lower 48.  Don’t remember exactly where I saw it, but it seems I read not too long ago that dandelions do sometimes have a minor bloom in the fall, however I couldn’t find anything on the internet to back that up

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
Pollen in November?
« Reply #14 on: November 19, 2005, 12:29:51 am »
In Finland dandelion make some flowers at autumn too. But they are not so many.  More often they are relatives of dandelion. They are liked pollen plants. They are many but in Finland autumn hawkbit gives a lot of pollen. Dandelions pollen get mixed in that color. These flowers will be closed at afternoon.

http://www.cc.jyu.fi/~tetajako/syysmaitiainen.htm

"Tripleurospermum inodorum" flowers untill to frost. It has orange pollen and bees collect it in some measure.
http://images.google.fi/images?svnum=10&hl=fi&lr=&q=Tripleurospermum+inodorum

anything