Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Northeast Treatment Free Beekeeping Conference - Day 1 Photo  (Read 13272 times)

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Getting late, but promised I would post this picture tonight.  Natalie has more (and better) pictures to post.

Left to right:  Rick (gaucho10), Rob, Natalie, Mike Bush, Tim (tshnc01), Adam (fermentedhiker)

Bob(BeeHopper) and a few others from the forum are also here.  It has been pretty jammed packed, so we haven't all been able to get together at once

I'll try to take more pictures tomorrow...
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
Re: Northeast Treatment Free Beekeeping Conference - Day 1 Photo
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2009, 12:43:50 am »
No!!! I am not holding hands with Robo!!!
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.
Notice I did not say they were people who I admire !!!

Offline tillie

• Super Bee
  • Bee in N Georgia on a Blackberry flower
    • Linda T's Bees
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2009, 12:49:53 am »
I am so jealous - I wanted so badly to go, but economics being what they are the best I could do this year was a staycation....maybe things will be economically better next year.

Linda T

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2009, 12:53:18 am »
looks like it was the place to be...what with all that hand holding and stuff.......... :rainbowflower:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2009, 07:06:19 am »
No!!! I am not holding hands with Robo!!!

Though he his a lot cuter without his spelunker hat on ;)

On a more serious note, I have already learned a lot and we haven't even gotten to the presentations I was looking forward to before the conference.

Romona gave an excellent presentation on microbes and Ihighly recommend every thake a look at the paper they have published on their website -> http://www.beeuntoothers.com/NoBeeIsAnIsland.pdf

Also learned that a Swedish? scientist has just discovered that feeding sugar kills at least 2 of the microbes living in the bee gut.

Also enjoyed a great talk by Erik Osterlund how he worked with Brother Adam to develop his Elgon bees and hist venture into the mountains of Africa to get breeding stock.

Looking forward the Dee Lusby, Mike Bush, Michael Palmer, and Erik Osterlund's talk today and hopefully the weather will allow us to get out into the bee yard.

It has been a great time so far....
« Last Edit: August 01, 2009, 11:34:32 pm by Robo »
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2009, 04:34:19 pm »
See you had good weather today and hope and you had a good time. :-P

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :) 
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2009, 11:43:35 pm »
2 photos from today.

The venue....

Tim and Dee Lusby  (Karaoke duet?)

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
Re: Northeast Treatment Free Beekeeping Conference - Day 2 Photo
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2009, 02:02:57 am »
Here are a few more pics:

In an attempt to take a picture of myself I (gaucho10) improperly aimed the camera and instead got a pic of Robo (front left), fermentedhiker (front right) and Natalie (center back), all tentatively listening on.  I did manage to take a picture of my right ear lobe.

Here we have Sam Comfort demonstrating his top-bar hive.

Tim, Rob and Adam are discussing today's topic during a break.
My favorite comedy program used to be Glenn Beck--The only thing is that after I heard the same joke over and over again it became BOOOORING.....

People who have inspired me throughout my life---Pee-wee Herman, Adolph Hitler, George W. Bush, Glenn Beck.

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2009, 08:03:16 am »
Running back to the conference now myself, gaucho I saw you take that picture and thought you held the camera backwards by accident because I saw Adam and Rob cracking up afterwards. :)
Its been a great time so far. I will get my pictures up as soon as possible, at least by tonights.
I have been so tired when I get home and then I drive back in the morning and am rushing around.
There has been so much information here its incredible.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2009, 08:12:53 am »
Its been a great time so far. I will get my pictures up as soon as possible, at least by tonights.
I have been so tired when I get home and then I drive back in the morning and am rushing around.

We don't want to hear the whining, just post the picture.

Did I just say that. :shock:

Offline gaucho10

• House Bee
    • Bees, Bats and Beyond
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2009, 08:53:51 am »
Posted by Natalie---"Running back to the conference now myself, gaucho I saw you take that picture and thought you held the camera backwards by accident because I saw Adam and Rob cracking up afterwards."

That was all planned Natalie.  It really was!!!  It was...It was!!! Honestly!!!

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2009, 09:19:18 am »
Running back to the conference now myself, gaucho I saw you take that picture and thought you held the camera backwards by accident because I saw Adam and Rob cracking up afterwards. :)
There has been so much information here its incredible.

Natalie...

Do you want some cheese for you'r wine ??

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2009, 12:25:59 am »
Oh you guys are so funny, not everyone got to sleep at the super 8 motel ya know robo :-D
I heard the beds are wicked comfortable :evil:
Jim, I would love some cheese, some that is fattening and really bad for you,maybe even served atop nachos.]
 Dean and ramona made it a point that we would be served only fresh healthy food and I don't know how much more I could have taken :-D it was all great though and I actually liked the food alot.
I snuck in a diet coke one day and this lady offered to buy it off of me, I gave her one and she thanked me every time she saw me, it was so funny. 

By the way I can confirm that Robo was indeed trying to hold hands with Rich.
Hey Rob good picture of Tim and Dee Lusby doing their rendition of Love Shack, it was fabulous you all should have seen it. Thanks again Tim.

Who knew Adam aka fermented hiker was such a wild and crazy guy, we were reigning him in all weekend.

As some of you know we had a thread about this conference and beemaster members were planning to meet up at the beginning of the first day of the conference.
Robo, Gaucho, Fermented Hiker,tschnc01 and myself found eachother before the start of the conference and talked about how we were missing two members, one of them being beehopper and the other John from new hampshire.
At the end of the day which was around 10:00 pm at night some of us starting chatting while we were still in our seats and we discovered that the man behind me was beehopper (bob).
He had been there the whole time and we did not realize it, even when I had been leaning back and talking to the two people he had traveled to the conference with.
He is actually the one who figured it out and spoke up and he was directly behind me.
Several times during the day we asked eachother if anyone had seen beehopper yet, everyone was like no, no idea.
We never did find John from New hampshire so if you were there John I am sorry we missed you.

Gaucho invited us back to his house after the conference and although the other members had some planes to catch or long rides ahead of them Robo, myself and my husband went over for a visit.
His house, pond and yard is incredible and very well thought out and it was really nice of him to invite us over for a tour.
We got to check out his beehives and he has some good tempered girls.

I really have to say that I am so thrilled with this weekend. The people I met were just so sweet and down to earth and I will miss them, I hope to see all of them again soon.
The information the presenters shared with us is immeasurable in attaining our treatment free goals or less treament goals depending where everyone is at.
I think everyone got something different out of this conference that they will implement in their hives.
All of the presenters were very knowledgeable and approachable, at least no one ran away when I approached them, although I think Michael Bush tried to once or twice I am not sure.
I have so many notes to organize but I was impressed wtih all of it, the microbes in the hive is especially interesting to me and I am going to study more on that.
Dean, Ramona and their families really worked their tails off and are already planning next year's conference and I would recommend it to anyone.

I am posting a link to my existing photo bucket album of the conference pictures, there are too many to post directly in the thread.

http://s679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/natalierosepeterson/?start=all

Offline luvin honey

• Super Bee
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2009, 01:35:54 am »
Oh--I'm turning green with envy!! Maybe I can get over it if you all pass on the wealth of information you have received! Pretty please?
The pedigree of honey
Does not concern the bee;
A clover, any time, to him
Is aristocracy.
---Emily Dickinson

Offline Natalie

• Queen Bee
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2009, 01:46:16 am »
Envious huh? You should see what I was dealing with this weekend

http://i679.photobucket.com/albums/vv153/natalierosepeterson/Picture048.jpg

Offline JhnR

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 05:27:24 pm »
Hi  Natalie, Robo and the gang.....

Unfortunately, I was on a ship for sea trials (Radio/Electronics Officer)and should have been back Saturday morning early but glitches kept us out a few extra days. I PM'd deknow from the ship to give my reservation to a child or someone interested in bees. I hope that worked out and hope to see everyone next year. I was looking forward to MP's overwintering his hives......maybe a road trip to St. Albans is in order!!

Glad there was a good time had by all...

Brgds,
John

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 05:51:19 pm »
Envious huh? You should see what I was dealing with this weekend

that's hilarious.  not what i'd expect to see with 3 boys and an electric fence, but this is a family site..... :evil:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 06:06:55 pm »
Hi Everybody,

It was nice to meet and chat with Natalie & Bill, Rob and Adam and I find it funny that I was sitting behind all of you and not knowing for a full day, with so many folks there, it's was difficult for me to just open up and introduce myself. It was also nice to finally meet Dee Lusby and Michael Bush too  :-D ( Both Dee and Mike are heroes in my bee world )
   I came up with 3 others from my club and we're were just impressed with the way Dean and Ramona handled the Conference, I will certainly be back next year. I am the kind of person who is active and just to sit through the lectures was grueling, and I know it was the same for Natalie and Bill who like myself have back problems, maybe next year we ought to do some shots of whiskey before the lectures to lessen the pain  ;)

On Friday morning at the motel, my friends and I have had the pleasure of meeting Dee Lusby and sitting down and chatting with her for over an hour before Dean showed up for her ride. She is a very intriguing woman and we've learned a great deal from her and it was not just about beekeeping, so at any time you beeks on this board ever run into her, open your ears and minds WIDE open  :-D

And lastly, the photo with you guys getting your jollies on the bear fence is a classic ( Thanks Natalie )

Bob

Offline BeeHopper

• Queen Bee
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 06:08:30 pm »
Hi  Natalie, Robo and the gang.....

Unfortunately, I was on a ship for sea trials (Radio/Electronics Officer)and should have been back Saturday morning early but glitches kept us out a few extra days. I PM'd deknow from the ship to give my reservation to a child or someone interested in bees. I hope that worked out and hope to see everyone next year. I was looking forward to MP's overwintering his hives......maybe a road trip to St. Albans is in order!!

Glad there was a good time had by all...

Brgds,
John

John,

So sorry you could not make it, maybe next year. This conference was worth the trip  :-D

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2009, 06:33:17 pm »
Awesome, looked like lots-o-fun....I have been wanting to make one of these since the Nabraska one. Maybe someday..... :)

anything