Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Bix Extractor  (Read 6926 times)

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
The Bix Extractor
« on: July 12, 2011, 03:27:45 pm »
I had John Bixler to make me an extractor last winter and I just finished spinning out about 60-70 gallons of honey with it.  Everything worked great.  I ran it with a corded variable speed drill.  I tried my cordless which worked fine but the clutch wanted to stop the rotation when you let off of tigger.  That was not pleasant on the wrists.  The hardest part was trying to find a food grade barrel in the Atlanta area but I finally got one off ebay for pickup.  Because my barrel had a deep recess in the top, I inverted the top after cutting it off, and the sides of the barrel fitted very snug into the recess area.  I also built a 2x4 stand the height of my 5 gal. buckets.  It only takes about 2.5 minutes to spin out the honey and then with the drill you can reverse directions to make sure everything is out. 

http://img833.imageshack.us/img833/4558/p1010637g.jpg
http://img685.imageshack.us/img685/2084/theoperation.jpg
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/4792/p1010631k.jpg
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

"You don't need a license to drive a sandwich."  SpongeBob Squarepants

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: The Bix Extractor
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 08:25:27 pm »
Sweet.   Very sweet.    I like the set up.

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 11:31:48 pm »
Stephen, I'm happy that it worked well for you and thanks for the kind words.  You're a bit modest as all I did was supply you the parts and you did the assembly.

I like your stand too.  Did it keep everything steady?  I may have to rob that design.  :)

Oh, and here's the original thread on the extractor: http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php/topic,29880.0.html
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 10:41:34 am by The Bix »

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2011, 11:09:43 am »
The stand is heavy and kept it steady, but if you do not do all you can to even out the weight it will rock like an out-of-balance washing machine.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2011, 07:15:14 pm »
The stand is heavy and kept it steady, but if you do not do all you can to even out the weight it will rock like an out-of-balance washing machine.

You answered the question I was going to ask, on my homemade one I put 2 5gal cans of water on the base I built for it. that helps but it still gets with it. I am going to bolt it to the floor.

It takes 5 regulars or 10 mediums, or 5 mediums and 5 regular

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2011, 04:17:20 pm »
Bee-Bop,

Interesting how you incorporated your honey gate into the stand.  Can you show and/or describe how you tapped the extractor?

--John

Offline lilyfrog

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2011, 06:55:36 pm »
I would guess those 44 gal drums are similiar to the ones we have here in australia and they have a 2" outlet and a 3/4" outlet in them, add a threadded elbow and connect to the gate,

great idea

cheers
Mark
========================================================
"At the end of the day, you can't eat money, but it sure helps pay the bills."

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2011, 09:46:14 pm »
Sorry I have lost the picture of the actual pipeing set up.

My drum is upside down, I cut the bottom off.

The drum sets on a 1 in. piece of plywood which is cut out for the pipe which is attached to it underneath,

the 2x4 is notched for the pipe & gate.

The plywood is hinged to the stand, so when cleaning the drum can be tilted, and a high pressure water hose used.

Works good for a home project, sure beats cranking !!

Tread mill motor.

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2011, 09:49:22 pm »
Stephen...I ripped off your stand design, used 100% scrap lumber and screws.  So I paid $0 of incremental expense and about an hour and a half of my time (I work slow).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2011, 12:06:50 am »
Is the camera showing the true color of your honey?  Has a different, unusual color from ours.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher

Offline The Bix

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 01:07:08 am »
Yes, I'd say it's pretty close to the actual color.  It seemed quite a bit darker than last year's batch.  It has a much heavier taste than last year.  I think that the difference has to do with the fact that last year we had a very wet spring and there was a lot of wild sweet clover.  It was everywhere last year and never saw any of it this year.

Oh, and I kinda like the stand I made.  The multicolor scrap lumber look.  My wife wants to paint it, but I like it just the way it is...has character, what do you think?

Offline ArmucheeBee

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2011, 11:41:41 pm »
I paint everything white.  I have a portable pro sprayer, so when I have boxes to spray I get everything else lined up-pallets, hives, sheds, extractor stands. 

I had two hives sitting side by side this spring.  One made a very dark honey the other almost clear.  I thought it was due to flowers, but then I started noticing that one hive was old the other new.  the old one had one to two year old comb--dark comb.  The other had drawn out most of their comb this year, light comb=light honey.  At least that's my theory, just too much of a color difference for flowers alone considering the hives are side by side.
Stephen Stewart
2nd Grade Teacher