Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bee vac--- negative pressure  (Read 2585 times)

Offline nella

• House Bee
Bee vac--- negative pressure
« on: June 17, 2009, 05:25:19 pm »
What is the maximum number in inches on a vacuum gauge(or fraction of an inch) that a bee vac can be operated at without hurting the bees?
« Last Edit: June 17, 2009, 09:11:45 pm by nella »

Offline chad

• New Bee
Re: Bee vac--- negative pressure
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2009, 08:42:09 pm »
7 inches. :-D Just kidding,I don't really understand your question.Wish I could help.I just adjust mine with vents until it just pulls them off gently.I adjust it because I will use anywhere from 10 to 50 foot of hose.

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2009, 09:42:05 pm »
Would that be inches of water or inches of mercury?

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2009, 05:34:00 am »
Because pressure was once commonly measured by its ability to displace a column of liquid in a manometer, pressures are often expressed as a depth of a particular fluid (e.g. inches of water). The most common choices are mercury (Hg) and water; water is nontoxic and readily available, while mercury's density allows for a shorter column (and so a smaller manometer) to measure a given pressure.

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2009, 01:11:19 pm »
Just enough pressure that a bee can hang on for a few seconds before giving up and being sucked in.  It helps to reduce the hose at the nozzle to produce a higher flow for the first few inches, then a larger bore hose the rest of the way to reduce injuries.
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

anything