Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: west hive beetle trap  (Read 8185 times)

Offline the bee boy

• New Bee
  • "PLEASE, just ONE more cookie?!!!!"
west hive beetle trap
« on: January 04, 2010, 01:12:42 pm »
hey i saw on gorgiabees.com that you can put the trap under the hive or rest it on top of the frames. would this work? thanks!
clayton moore :bee:
"when life gives you lemons, squirt them in your enemy's eyes!"

Offline bassman1977

• "King Bee"
  • Super Bee
Re: west hive beetle trap
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2010, 02:09:04 pm »
They do.  I had a state inspector recommend them a while ago.  I am getting them for all of my hives this year.  They are dirt cheap.  I am getting this one...  http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com/AJs-Beetle-Eater/productinfo/542/
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(''')_(''')

Offline rdy-b

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2010, 09:45:41 pm »
what is a west hive beetle  8-)  I saw those vids-likable guy -woudnt you say  8-) RDY-B
Beekeeping,SMALL HIVE BEETLES,Hive Beetle trap filling,install,Beekeeper killing hive beetles
« Last Edit: January 04, 2010, 10:07:12 pm by rdy-b »

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 08:29:51 am »
That video is the Beetle Barn or whatever others call it. They work great. "Beetles check in and they don't check out"!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline wmoze

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2010, 09:07:37 am »
where do you buy the beetle traps and the "caulk" feed shown in the video?

-w

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010, 09:01:08 am »
where do you buy the beetle traps and the "caulk" feed shown in the video?

I bought the "barns" at Rossmans. Maxforce Gel is what you see on the video. Contains "Fipronil" which I don't think is approved for hive use... but the bees never come in contact with it and as far as I can tell, no fumes.

I used it on a test hive (with no supers) placing on square on the SBB and the other on top cover. It does work, really well.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline wmoze

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010, 11:55:11 am »
Doug,

Thanks for sharing! Is the MaxForce Gel the Magnum or regular?  Magnum has .05% Fipronil and the regular has .01%.  Just curious what made you think the roach bait would work for SHB's?  Have others used this or is this something new?  I've just started keeping bees this year and have had one of my hives swarm.  Now I'm finding the SHB in it and want to try and do something about it.  I just installed the Sonny-Mel, homemade style trap this weekend.  This was in reference to Linda's website at beekeeperlinda.blogspot.com/2007/05/small-hive-beetle-trap-saga.html. Again, thanks for sharing!

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010, 12:04:01 pm »
howdy Moze:

Actually there are several other threads on here about the same subject and it was a process of elimination about what was shown (or hidden) on the video. Not sure at the moment if it was magnum or regular but the product works. Don't have to use much, just alittle squirt in the corners and the middle does the trick.

I'm actually solving this problem the natural way by moving my hives in full sunshine. The sun seems to eliminate the SHB problem. Shade seems to encourage it.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010, 12:09:34 pm »
 I saw those vids-likable guy -woudnt you say  8-) RDY-B
   Very interesting individual... you need to see his candle making video!

Camilla is about 45 minutes from here... maybe I need to pay a visit!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010, 09:53:51 pm »
The beetle barns are cheap, $1.00 a piece if you buy a bunch.   You just have to clean them out when the bees glue them shut.  Use several throughout the hives, top, bottom, middle.   Checkmite is approved for use in them.

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010, 10:18:23 pm »
The beetle barns are cheap, $1.00 a piece if you buy a bunch.   You just have to clean them out when the bees glue them shut.  Use several throughout the hives, top, bottom, middle.   Checkmite is approved for use in them.

Darn... Allen I forgot about that. I did put a checkmite square in the middle section as my first test (before the Maxgel arrived)... but I'll have to say the Maxforce did better... more SHB in the traps, but it's not approved. So your best bet is to use that if you have to.. I'm staying chemical free (no sugar dusting, no feed etc) on my honey hives. So my personal opinion (and most in this area... same results), full sun is the best bet in the south with no chemicals.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ