Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: MICE!  (Read 15260 times)

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: MICE!
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2007, 12:41:38 pm »
between '97 and 2004 he deployed 3 times to the gulf.  he is a jet mechanic.  he started out on choppers.  going to the gulf is normal and always dangerous.  remember what happened to the USS Cole, and we were (foolishly) not at war.  also, the deck of an aircraft carrier is one of the most dangerous places to work, war or not.  soooo, i always have a bit of worry in the back of my mind.  in this war, a ship is better than tromping about on the ground, or doing as my brother is doing, and clearing old mine fields in Afghanistan!  gotta love iRobot!!

that said, i am not big on worry.  things  happen as they are meant to happen.  my worry will not change anything except maybe to give me an ulcer  :-).

with 10 years in and young children now in his custody, my son feels that it is time to get off active duty and do other things.  i hope he will stay in the reserve and finish his time. 
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2007, 02:23:42 pm »
Mice and rats love dates. Put some in a five gallon bucket (plastic) they get in (the mice) and can't get out. A trap that has caught other mice or rats is a "seasoned" trap and it will catch more than a new trap.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2007, 09:10:27 pm »
Kathy, so sorry, I took you and I totally off topic (nah, nah, nah, nah nah), probably annoyed some and I do apologize.  Nice for you to tell me about your Son though.  I admire the way that you don't allow too much worry to come to your soul.  That is a wonderful trait, and you are right, all the worrying in the world doesn't change one little thing.  This is a hard lesson that I have slowly been accepting.  I always get off topic, and I just can't seem to stop it.  I truly apologize (kind of).

Anyways, right back the mices.

We have field mice that invade my Daughters home.  She has mouse traps that she sets in places and maybe gets one or two a week.  We do not have cats, they would perish with all the dogs around.  But for some reason, we do not have an overrun of mice this year like I am hearing, last year, yes, this year now.  Interesting.  I think the ducks might be eating them all when they may have been out there and kept that population down before they moved to human terrain, I hear ducks love to eat mice.  Have a beautiful and wonderful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Beekissed

• House Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2008, 03:55:22 pm »
I used to get at least a couple of mice in the house every spring and the old stand-by wooden traps with peanut butter works well.  I think they are looking for dry places to nest and birth, also food for the young.  I have a tom cat outside that brings in 1-2 huge voles every day!!  I don't know where they all are coming from, as he doesn't range out too far.  No mice yet, just the voles.  We had a window cracked in the living room the other night as the wood stove was out of control  :-\  and the darn cat jumped through the window with a huge vole in his mouth, let it loose on the carpet and couldn't get it back!  Hilarious!  We ran around, he ran around, son #3 finally killed it with a broom.  Threw the vole...AND the cat outside.  Silly cat.  Good cat!  No mice, no voles.  I also have a Chocolate Lab/Border Collie mix who is death on moles, mice and voles.  Any given day in the spring I will find 2-3 scattered around his dog house, like trophies!
"...he maketh me to lie down in green pastures..."

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2008, 10:46:27 pm »
Found the outside cat curled up on the glider couch on the porch with a rat on the deck.  Finally have found a use for that cat, might let it live after all.  When it went for my pigeons I would have shot it if I'd had my pellet gun in my pocket instead of my 32 pistol.  The pistol make too much noise to shoot in town without a real good excuse--like home invasion.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2008, 07:48:35 pm »
Now that the snow is gone I see just how many mice and voles I have had over the winter. I've got some pretty good damage to my lawn in many places. They had their way out in the woodlot/grove and I even have tunnels in my berry patches. Dirty buggers. If I wasn't more concerned about the damage he would cause I would let my rat terrier at them more than he already is.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline jimmyo

• House Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2008, 10:02:26 pm »
we use traps,  peanut butterUNDER the trigger catches even the smartest mouse.
 We also have 3 Border Terriers. They are rat and mouse killing machines. And there's no cleanup, they eat what they catch. Sometimes they get the mise out of the traps for me too. I can't train them to reset the traps they don't have thumbs.
Jim   

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2008, 05:34:35 pm »
Well once again I hear the wife scream and find out there is a mouse looking out from under the washer. I set four traps inside the house and caught three mice. We usually dont get mice until the winter and its just the start of the summer. I went outside to clean the shed and to fill the dog food trach can up, put the food in a rubber trach can so mice cant get into it. Well I noticed the kids have been leaving the lid off and there were 5 mice in the bottom trying to hide. I think its the dog food thats attracting the mice along with the water bowls, very dry here. Kids are not allowed to feed the dogs any more this way I know the lids are on and the dogs will maybe lose a little weight, kids keping the bowls full even if its their third time for the day filling them.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2008, 06:42:45 pm »
  The mice were bad this past winter and early spring!..we were getting about 3 a day for a couple of weeks.
What i hate most is the stink of a dead mouse, or mouse pee down in the floor vent..Nothing like coming home , walking in, and smelling that smell! :-x..Its not overwhelming but its nasty.....Makes me think that I have a dirty place...I'm always asking anybody who visits if my house stinks. A putrifying mouse can stink for weeks! What happens is sometimes a mouse gets caught in a trap but not killed, then crawls away to where I cant find it, suffers, dies, then stinks :-P....Urrrrppppp,......gaaaaahhhh...   The mice came from over the next doors land cuz they grubbed the heck out of it... :(
  Now we have the BIG wood rats!..They look like big gerbils!..Theres so many of them! The dogs used to tear the trees out at the bottoms or tunnel underneath to get a rat...I guess theres so many rats now that the dogs have lost interest...There were a ton of hawks but they dont eat enuff of the rats..Usually I have a lot of snakes too but have only seen one rattler and he was way out at where I dump fish heads.
 I cant have cats either cuzza my wifes allergies..She swells up like someone on "The Simpsons" and cant breath if we go to someones house who has a cat...bummer...

your friend,
john

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2008, 07:27:59 pm »
   What happens is sometimes a mouse gets caught in a trap but not killed, then crawls away to where I cant find it, suffers, dies, then stinks :-P....Urrrrppppp,......gaaaaahhhh... 
No escaping the bucket trap, at least not while injured or dying.
  Now we have the BIG wood rats!..They look like big gerbils!..Theres so many of them! The dogs used to tear the trees out at the bottoms or tunnel underneath to get a rat...I guess theres so many rats now that the dogs have lost interest...There were a ton of hawks but they dont eat enuff of the rats..Usually I have a lot of snakes too but have only seen one rattler and he was way out at where I dump fish heads.

Sounds like you need to start eatin' em.  I betcha they taste just like frog legs.  Probably really good wrapped in bacon,  even better wrapped in bacon on a stick  :-P
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2008, 09:41:38 pm »
I used to have a pet wild mouse in an apt... by pet I mean I would just feed it... it never bothered me, so why should I kill it?  AND then I heard about the haunta virus...

On our honeymoon, my wife and I were awakened by a rat that was walking on us while we were staying at a beach resort (it was one of those bamboo hut rooms, so you kinda had to figure stuff would get in... but you also kinda hope it might at least keep it's distance).

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2008, 11:39:37 pm »
Yeh,....I oughta start eatin' 'em..about a year ago I told Janelle that we need to try some kind of exotic food every week...I was thinkin' more in the way of Grasshoppers and scorpions before the rats :)
I bet rats taste like chicken!!
your friend,
john

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2008, 12:57:19 pm »
Yeh,....I oughta start eatin' 'em..about a year ago I told Janelle that we need to try some kind of exotic food every week...I was thinkin' more in the way of Grasshoppers and scorpions before the rats :)
your friend,
john

No, they actually taste like Rabbit.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2008, 09:33:49 am »
your friend,
john

No, they actually taste like Rabbit.

Ewey!!! Y'all are grossing me out!!! Friends don't let friends eat rats!!!

About Hantavirus: http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hanta/hps/noframes/FAQ.htm

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2008, 01:14:58 pm »
Yea, we have the hantavirus here in SE Colorado. From what I know the virus comes from the "Deer mouse." When the news first came out everyone was scared and reporting all mice but they found it was just the deer mouse that had the virus.

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
« Reply #35 on: July 08, 2008, 07:03:05 pm »
Aw, c'mon JP....Fried mice cant be much bigger than a crawdad! :)
Thats funny, huh?
Fried mice......Fried rice...get it?.........(Uh oh,....sweats beading on  forehead,...Corners of mouth turning up.......).....Time for a Chelada! (Red beer)

your friend,
john

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2008, 10:15:41 am »
I used to have a chocolate lab that was deadly on mice and rats. I used to take him hunting squirrels and rabbits and he would get a whiff of a rat in a hole and I would have to give up waiting on him and move on. until he dug that mouse or rat out he was going to dig to China. once he finally got it though I would here him barreling through the woods to catch up to me. dog wasn't much of a rabbit hunter but if you like to eat rats that dog would have kept you feed and fat.

Keith

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2008, 01:36:08 pm »
Thata funny. When I had so many mice in the shed and went on a hunt my lab becamse the best mouse hunter in that shed. Although she didnt care what was in teh way and somethings got broke I think she had fun. All I have to say now is "find it" and she goes nuts trying to find mice.

Offline Keith13

• Super Bee
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2008, 02:23:16 pm »
Thata funny. When I had so many mice in the shed and went on a hunt my lab becamse the best mouse hunter in that shed. Although she didnt care what was in teh way and somethings got broke I think she had fun. All I have to say now is "find it" and she goes nuts trying to find mice.

Labs IMHO are the best dogs in the world I wouldn't have another breed

Keith

Offline hankdog1

• Field Bee
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2008, 05:06:01 am »
I don't know how it works and i'm meaning to try it here shortly as i find it hard to stay ahead of the mice.  But i read in a book that you can put peppermint oil (not extract) on cotton balls and place them around where your seeing the mice.  Supposedly the smell drives them out i'm gonna try and see if it works here shortly i'll try and give an update.
Take me to the land of milk and honey!!!