Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Smoke or No smoke  (Read 7082 times)

Offline papabear

• House Bee
Smoke or No smoke
« on: May 09, 2007, 05:31:32 pm »
DO you need to smoke every time you open the hive? Yesterday I went to put on a super,thats it. It should only take less than 1 minute to add a super wright. I was suited up with 1 shirt tucked in with a thick long sleeve shirt over it, the vail and long gloves. When i opened the hive all was well for about 5 seconds then it was like someone told them the thick shirt was not tucked in. I got 2 stings on belly and side. while i was trying to walk away they stayed with me for about 30 yards then i had one find  a way into my vail and got me on the chin. I got in the truck drove to the house about 500 yards away. When I got out and remove the vail and golves then the long sleeve shirt there were about a dozen out of the shirt after me. I managed to get away without ant more stings.  So do i need to smoke every time or was something else going on?
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
Re: Smoke or No smoke
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2007, 06:00:34 pm »
I would smoke if the bees are acting like that.If there is a strong flow going you can sometimes slip in almost unnoticed. Make sure to wear lighter colors,dark colors can agitate the bees.

Offline Bee1

• House Bee
  • 1st & only hive installed Friday April 13th, 2007
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2007, 06:33:26 pm »
Ouch!  I'm learning from reading these posts that I should smoke every time.

Bee1
Bee1 with all Stings of the Universe.

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2007, 06:44:20 pm »
I think you should smoke according to the hive.  I always take a smoker, but currently am not smoking at all. I would not currently smoke my hive just for the sake of smoking, they are just too calm at the moment to add that disruption.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 06:53:06 pm »
if i'm going to be digging in there extensively they get smoked. if i'm just checking the sugar water in the newly installed packages i don't smoke.

Offline LET-CA

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2007, 06:59:39 pm »
Each time I approach the "I know enough not to need to smoke" level, I get stung on the face.  I finally decided to wear my jacket and veil and smoke each time I look inside.  I can fill the top feeders without smoke only because the bees can't get through the screens.  As you can see below, my eyes are nicely swollen from a recent sting on my forehead. . .

Online Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 07:23:17 pm »
cool picture!! 

sometimes i don't smoke because i think i'll just look quick and lighting up the smoker takes time.  usually, i end up taking more time while i wait 50 ft away from my hive for the attack to subside.

that said, for quick things like supering and adding external bucket feeders, i don't smoke (the bees).

i also don't always dress for the occasion and have an 18 inch calf today to show for it  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline pdmattox

• Queen Bee
    • October bend Rv Park
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2007, 08:02:56 pm »
First thing to remeber is to not over do it. A couple of puffs in the front entrance and then one as you lift the top off is all you need and on most days you don't need protection when smoked properly.

Offline jdesq

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2007, 09:05:58 pm »
I often do not not smoke when I'm quick in and out- But I do enjoy a good cigar afterwards!

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2007, 09:15:05 pm »
Because I am a newbee...I will smoke some...I was able to work with my mentor and watched her..she was conservative with the smoke,and had be follow her lead...not much smoke, calm bees..all was well...today I was stung while gardening...I felt bad for the bee, then I felt bad for my underarm...wow, stings are painful...I had no idea...

Offline wrk4beer

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2007, 09:31:31 pm »
As already mentioned,if I plan on doing major disruptions I will smoke them.
Small tasks they usually dont seem to mind if I work quickly with slow movements.
Havent got hit yet this year,but I 'm sure that will change as it always does.
 ;)
She was not quite what you would call refined. She was not quite what you would call unrefined. She was the kind of person that keeps a parrot.
Mark Twain

Offline heaflaw

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2007, 12:20:43 am »

I almost always wear full protective clothing.  I never smoke at the entrance and only use smoke when I want the bees to move: robbing or to get a frame lifter on a frame without killing some bees, etc.  If there is a honey flow, they seldom try to sting.  My belief is that the most important things are that all your movements should be slow and deliberate, don't breathe on them and don't crush one.

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2007, 02:13:10 am »
I am a white guy but this is what happen to me one day with out smoke

naw this aint me but just a picture I found of a guy that got busted by stings, I work my hives with out smoke unless they seem a little moody ;) ...
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2007, 03:14:47 am »
Oh my god, I am dying laughing! hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Offline thomashton

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2007, 02:27:01 pm »
I lit my smoker maybe 2 times last year and not once this year at all. I rarely even wear more than jeans and a t-shirt out there. I do have very calm bees. This is true except for during the fall. Then, it is jacket/veit/gloves.

Conversely, if I am doing what I call a "full tear down" with propolis scraping, burr comb removal etc etc, then I will wear the gear, but never really use smoke. I use a bee brush, blowing from my mouth, and sometimes a squirt bottle with 1:1 sugar solution.
After 18 months of reading and preparation, my girls finally arrived on April 11th (2006)!

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2007, 02:47:31 pm »
I use a bee brush, blowing from my mouth, and sometimes a squirt bottle with 1:1 sugar solution.

Blowing from your mouth  :? Are you sure you have bees?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Bennettoid

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2007, 05:18:53 pm »
I use a bee brush, blowing from my mouth, and sometimes a squirt bottle with 1:1 sugar solution.

Blowing from your mouth  :? Are you sure you have bees?

LOL, I thought the same thing.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2007, 08:32:10 pm »
If there are two things I can do to piss off bees it is blow on them or brush them. I have never had the nads to do both at the same time.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2007, 08:49:09 pm »
Smoke
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2007, 08:08:52 am »
I'm a novice to this myself but have found that when I use smoke it seems to make them more agitated.  Maybe I'm overdoing it.  I think my next inspection I'll try it without smoke but have the smoker ready just in case.

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

anything