Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finding a beehive  (Read 2062 times)

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
Finding a beehive
« on: March 27, 2007, 02:16:35 am »
Hi ever one today I was working on my friends garden and a honey bee came up frist one ive seen within 2 miles of my house this year but I was just wanting to know how do you track them back to the hive?  This week ill be getting 25 supers for 4 or 5 $ a super. I dont think thats to bad for them and there all in good shape. Thanks for all the help  :)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
Re: Finding a beehive
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2007, 03:37:39 am »
That's funny, I just made a post about the same thing.  Following a bee back to it's hive from the field is called "Bee-lining".  I guess the theory is when the bees leave the field, they make a direct path , or a bee-line, back to the hive.  There's a trick to doing it and I've never done it before.  I was trying to find out how successful people had been by doing this old art.

Congrats on the cool find.  $5 a super, not bad!  Do you get the frames and stuff too?  Or is it just the body?

Sean Kelly
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2007, 04:09:21 am »
Yes its the frames ever thing ill just need new Crimp wire thats it. Then he said 7$ for the hive body frames ever thing.

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2007, 04:27:06 am »
By the way Sean have you went to www.dadant.com thay have a place in  Chico Ca better then ga then you might try www.westernbee.com  but I dont know if thay have any bees or not. Ok i was looking on my favorites and i found this http://www.beezneezapiary.com/ there out of wa I hope this helps some. I dont even have any bees yet it will bee 2008 befor I have any right now  im just trying to get part by part I did find a beesuit for 57$ with a veil that is at www.mannlakeltd.com have fun ;)

Offline Sean Kelly

• Field Bee
  • I Pick; Therefore I Grin
    • Sean's Facebook Page
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2007, 04:50:43 am »
By the way Sean have you went to www.dadant.com thay have a place in  Chico Ca better then ga then you might try www.westernbee.com  but I dont know if thay have any bees or not. Ok i was looking on my favorites and i found this http://www.beezneezapiary.com/ there out of wa I hope this helps some. I dont even have any bees yet it will bee 2008 befor I have any right now  im just trying to get part by part I did find a beesuit for 57$ with a veil that is at www.mannlakeltd.com have fun ;)

Hey!  Thanks for the info.  Yeah, I checked out beezneez and they're closer than Chico (that's like 800 miles from here) but the only dates to pick them up is on a work day.  But they're later which is good.  Adds one more option to my list.
I just checked out Dadant's site and they have mail order locations in Oregon too.  That might work.  Man, it's looking brighter every minute.  :-)
Just wanted to let you know that the $57 deluxe bee suit from Mann Lake doesnt come with a helmet.  I'm getting the same one but in Nylon instead of Cotton.
"My son,  eat  thou honey,  because it is good;  and the honeycomb,  which is sweet  to thy taste"          - Proverbs 24:13

Offline beeginner

• House Bee
  • The swarm I hived
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2007, 05:42:12 pm »
Well thats good at lest I help'd someone and not the other way aroud lol. I know that beesuit will not come with the helmet but thats no big deal at all. Glad to help  ;)

anything