Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Honey bees in my garage lots of them  (Read 4916 times)

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
Honey bees in my garage lots of them
« on: September 28, 2011, 02:47:31 pm »
So I don't even have bees yet but I bought a bunch of used woodenware etc. so I have been scorching the used pieces it in my garage. 
 For the last couple of days I have been noticing a honey bee here and there on the boxes etc. well today there are by my guess a couple of hundred in a medium box that has gunky used comb in it . I was real surprised when I pulled up a frame and I saw about 50 bees on it then pulled another and the same I quit looking after that because they started flying around LOL
 Are they just cleaning the comb?
Lori

Offline David McLeod

• Field Bee
  • Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
    • Georgia Wildlife Services, Inc
Re: Honey bees in my garage lots of them
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2011, 02:59:49 pm »
Probably so since it is a little late for a swarm. News have a strong attraction to bees and anything that has held bees. I keep a few empties stacked on my porch (no comb or wax) and I always spot a few checking them out every day.
Georgia Wildlife Services,Inc
Georgia's Full Service Wildlife Solution
Atlanta (678) 572-8269 Macon (478) 227-4497
www.atlantawildliferemoval.net
georgiawildlifeservices@gmail.com

Offline yockey5

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2011, 03:00:55 pm »
I would suspect so. My guess is that in the spring time you will have some free bees moving in.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2011, 03:18:05 pm »
Its probably not a swarm thats moved in being this late in the year, but hey, stranger things have happened. One thing for sure though, you definitely have a hive thats reasonably close. Build you a swarm trap or two and hang for next year.

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 07:01:12 pm »
Ok I went to go feed the feral cats and I could hear buzzing from the garage so I looked and there are even more bees so many more I can hear them from 4ft away. I tried to look in the box but could not get a good look but I could see bees between all ten frames. I should try and get some pictures. I'll check when it gets dark to see if they are still there.
Lori

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2011, 07:46:21 pm »
if they are still there tonight, you attracted a late swarm.  if they are gone (most of them) after dark, it's just hungry bees hoping to find some leftovers.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2011, 10:42:50 pm »
Honeybees are hoarders. If flows slow down,they will seek out other nearby sources such as other hives. You can see weak hives get robbed this time of year . And how much weaker can you get than an empty hive box? Be careful,yellow jackets and wasps will also be hitting the sweets if they are hungry.
I have seen a lot less bald faced hornets the last two weeks.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2011, 10:56:08 pm »
If they are clustered you may have a swarm.  If they are working, they are gathering propolis.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beesmisc.htm#propolis
http://www.bushfarms.com/images/RosinWaxAsPropolis.jpg
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline LoriMNnice

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 12:31:53 am »
I checked at 10PM no bees, so it is not a swarm just bees getting whatever they want to get and taking it back home. it will be fun to watch them for awhile maybe I can learn something but I am going to move the box out of garage to the outside front of the garage :) I did how ever find my missing chicken she was sleeping on the lawn mower seat.
Lori

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 12:39:49 am »
it's a good sign.  you have bees around. put any boxes that you are not using, out there early in spring.  you may catch a swarm or two.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything