Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Halving Langstroth deeps  (Read 4334 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Halving Langstroth deeps
« on: January 27, 2007, 11:09:57 am »
I am lazy in many regards, I know this.  But I thought I would put out a question to the members.

I have quite a few unassembled, unpainted deeps.  Can these be cut in half to make shallows for purposes.  I do not want to run 8 frame boxes, but I would be interested in trying the less deep boxes.  I realize I would have to buy more rabbets and alter the lower part of a cut off box. 

Input would be great.  Awesome day.  Summer is coming!!!!  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Halving Langstroth deeps
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2007, 11:51:44 am »
I realize I would have to buy more rabbets and alter the lower part of a cut off box. 

Not real sure what you are talking about here. All you have to do is cut off the bottom of the box to the desired specs. I think M. Bush has done this.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2007, 11:57:26 am »
I realize I would have to buy more rabbets and alter the lower part of a cut off box. 

Not real sure what you are talking about here. All you have to do is cut off the bottom of the box to the desired specs. I think M. Bush has done this.

Meaning, I would cut the deep into two boxes, in the box that did not have the rabbets for the frames to hang on I would have to make a wood piece to hang the frames on, the rabbets are metal parts that sit on the wood piece the frames hang on.  The metal rabbets make the frames easy to move off and on.  Not sure if that makes sense, but does to me.

Are the metal rabbets used in the other countries?  Maybe it is only here in my area.  I don't know.

I will look at MB's site again.  Probably I would do as you say, just cut the bottom of box to the specified depth.  I'll check this out.  Thanks.  Great day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2007, 12:05:45 pm »
OH you are wanting to get two boxes out of one. I was thinking there wasn't enough box there for two but I guess there is if you want to go really shallow.

I don't use the metal frame rest. Just notch out the wood and set the frame in there. I only mess with deeps so I forgot..... What is the depth of a normal shallow? Will you have to create your own frames for these?
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline ChickenWing

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2007, 12:21:18 pm »
A standard "Shallow" is 5 11/16, and a standard "deep" is 9 5/8.  If you were to cut them in half, you would have two boxes smaller than a standard shallow.  It would end up being two boxes of 4 3/4 after removing 1/16" saw kerf.     

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2007, 02:34:40 pm »
If you cut a deep in half horizontally you'll have an extra shallow.  Frames for this are available from Walter T. Kelly.  AND you'll have to cut a frame rest on the bottom half.

If you want something more standard, you can cut the bottom off of the deep so it's a medium and you'll have a 2 7/8" piece left.  This can be cut in half to 1 3/8".  These make nice baggie and pollen pattie feeders or you can put a sheet of newspaper on the top bars and use them to feed dry sugar.  Or you can drill a hole in one end and use them for an imirie shim.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2007, 08:47:03 pm »
If you cut a deep in half horizontally you'll have an extra shallow.  Frames for this are available from Walter T. Kelly.  AND you'll have to cut a frame rest on the bottom half.

If you want something more standard, you can cut the bottom off of the deep so it's a medium and you'll have a 2 7/8" piece left.  This can be cut in half to 1 3/8".  These make nice baggie and pollen pattie feeders or you can put a sheet of newspaper on the top bars and use them to feed dry sugar.  Or you can drill a hole in one end and use them for an imirie shim.

Thinking about it.  I think that the more standard dimension to create a medium would be a more logical aspect.   I may implement a few mediums in the honey supers to get a feel for a new idea in my life.  I am kind of stuck on the deep box concept, but I have to open my mind to try other methods as well.   Imirie shim.  I don't know what that is, but I will find out.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2007, 08:52:34 pm »
OK, George Imirie, Brush Mountain, good site and the Imirie shim looks like a useful apparatus to have on hand.  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Finsky

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2007, 12:41:36 pm »
That is waste of good stuff if you cut  Langstroth to lower boxes.

Jorn Johanesson said a good adwice. Cut langstroth vertically and you get  two 4-frame supers and you put them walls together. They are light to handle.

Langstroth is not possible to cut that you get 5+5 system. There is no space enough to make that.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 10:52:13 am by Finsky »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 09:04:54 am »

That is waste of good stuff if you cut  Langstroth to lower boxes.
Jorgensen said a good adwice. Cut langstroth vertically and you get  two 4-frame supers and you put them walls together. They are light to handle.
Langstroth is not possible to cut that you get 5+5 system. There is no space enough to make that.
Finsky, that was Jorn right that said that quite some time ago.  You have a good memory.  I remember something that he wrote about it too, but I cannot find his post to go back and read.  I remember he said some good information in that post.  Do you remember anything more about what he wrote?  Great day.  Cindi

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2007, 06:21:31 pm »
Thats a great idea michael Kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2007, 01:31:56 am »
Finsky, I notice that you changed Jorn's name spelling to the correct way in the previous post where you mentioned him, that is good for you to do.  Sometimes names can easily be entered wrong on the keyboard inadvertently.  Awesome day.  Cindi