Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Swarm trapping questions  (Read 1513 times)

Offline TN beekeeper

• New Bee
Swarm trapping questions
« on: April 05, 2013, 09:11:40 pm »
I was wondering what ya'lls favorite place to put swarm traps are. Also when swarming season is in East Tennessee.

Offline cinch123

• New Bee
Re: Swarm trapping questions
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2013, 09:36:23 pm »
I had good luck last year with traps on treelines about 8 feet up a tree trunk. Then again, last year was a crazy swarm season in Ohio. I would imagine it starts pretty soon there in TN.

Offline jmblakeney

• House Bee
  • James
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2013, 09:52:57 pm »
Haven't been able to trap a swarm yet but shook plenty of them.  Last year started really early.  I caught my first one mid March.  Swarming usually starts Mid April and toward the first of May.  Usually when the apple trees start to bloom is a pretty good indicator.  I anticipate them starting within a couple weeks this year.
"I believe the best social program is a job...." - Ronald Reagan

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 09:27:06 am »
I like to hang them 6 -7 ft off the ground (no ladders) at field edges but in the shadows.   Using the prevailing wind to carry the smell out into the field never hurts

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 10:42:15 am »
Get yourself an old wood-framed house w/o insulation and drill several 3/8" holes around the perimeter. Stick it just about anywhere and wait :-D

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline ScottAz

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2013, 07:10:19 pm »
 :lau: