Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Forcing workers from combine box to brood box ???  (Read 1140 times)

Offline Bees In Miami

• House Bee
Forcing workers from combine box to brood box ???
« on: October 28, 2012, 08:44:56 pm »
Hello again.  I apologize for all the dumb questions of late.   :oops:  I did a combine of a queenless cutout hive with a weak but growing swarm colony about a week ago.  My desire is to remove the cut out box.  I inspected the hive today, expecting to find the bees combined into the box with the brood.  Instead, it appears the cut out bees are still working the crap comb from the cutout, which is still broodless.  They have eaten through some of the paper, so I am assuming they are all getting along.  I tried to smoke the bees from the top, essentially trying to force them into the bottom box, but it was useless.  If the comb from the cutout was healthy, I wouldn't be too concerned.  However, it was broodless, and had a large population of hive beetles, so I want to get the nasty comb out of there so I can dispose of it. There is more than enough room for both populations in the bottom brood box.  So, smoke didn't work, and I don't have any Bee Go.  Other ideas please??   Thanks to all in advance! 
My thoughts and prayers are with all about to be impacted by Sandy!!   Stay safe everyone! 

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Forcing workers from combine box to brood box ???
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2012, 09:45:03 pm »
Pull each frame and brush off the bees. Remove the top box. If room is needed, put a clean foundation box on.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline duck

• House Bee
    • Big Thicket Bees
Re: Forcing workers from combine box to brood box ???
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2012, 11:24:43 pm »
if you only had a polystyrene hive!

I would close off the entrance.

anything