Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: how do you get bees off underside of sbb  (Read 2315 times)

Offline MarkT

• New Bee
how do you get bees off underside of sbb
« on: October 26, 2012, 01:25:55 pm »
Might be a silly question, I took the slide in board out of my sbb and now the bees are clustered under the bottom of the hive, looking to put the slide in board back in for winter, but the bees will not move off the screened bottom??  anyone else go through this? I have put in the plywood and then opened it up a little thinking they will head in the entrance but they just keep hangin out there,  do I have to physically brush them off?
« Last Edit: October 26, 2012, 02:39:53 pm by MarkT »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: how do you get bees off underside of sbb
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2012, 02:48:44 pm »
If we knew where you were, we might could help. 95 F., or sub freezing would call for different actions.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline BlueBee

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2012, 08:51:26 pm »
As iddee says, the answer does depend a bit upon where you live.  

I’ll assume you live in the north.  I’ve had this problem before and the best I could come up with is smoke; LOTs of smoke.  The bees are reluctant to leave the bottom of the screen without a lot of smoke.  I tried the brush, it just didn’t work.  Smoke works real well.  Now the problem is the weather.  You need to do this on a WARM day because the bees will need to be able to fly out from under the screen and find the main entrance.  They can’t do that effectively on a cold day.  Ideally 65F+ and sunny.

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2012, 01:52:24 am »
Yep, the weather will be a big factor here. If not a ton of bees and they act gentle you could gently move handfuls onto the bottom board. If a good many & you have a bee vac...

Could also use a small as in tiny amount of bee repellant strategically placed to oust them & of course try smoking them first as suggested.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tefer2

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2012, 09:45:40 am »
I've had this problem before too. Seems to happen more when installing bees to a new hive with screened bottom open. I just smoke them heavy and use a bee brush to move them off. You have to install your slide in tray fast though. Leave the tray in for a couple of days and they start using the entrance again.

Offline carlfaba10t

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 04:28:48 pm »
Had the same thing happen during the hot part of the summer, what i discovered was the hive plans i used showed a removable sbb and a solid bottom.What a mess up.And these bees were stubborn they did not want to move,so back to the drawing board removed all frames and turned bottom upside down then removed sbb and shook bees off into another empty hive. " well it was the first hive i built"
Will not make that mistake again! :?   
Carl-I have done so much with so little for so long i can now do something with nothing!

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 09:05:36 pm »
Take the hive off the SBB. Then just knock them into the hive and put it back together.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2012, 09:09:45 am »
put a tray in...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MarkT

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 09:38:53 am »
Thanks everyone,  the original problem was that when I put the tray back in the bees that were on the underside were trapped. I ended up trying smoke, moved a few but not to many, it is starting to get cold here, and was afraid the loss of the bees under would be hard on the hives. I waited and went back on a warmer day, still the same, tried the smoke again, same result, I brushed a few off, and slid the trays in. That took care of most of them, so I went back on a colder day with a box, took the tray out and brushed the remaining bees into the box, then dumped them on the landing board, seems to have worked. Dismantling the hive was a option as well, but at this late in the season, the least disruption to the hive as a whole was the way I decided to go, more work for me, but less for the bees.  Maybee.  
Thanks again.  :-D

anything