Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: banana on top of inner cover  (Read 20122 times)

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
banana on top of inner cover
« on: December 15, 2010, 11:00:22 am »
Anybody ever hear of using a rotton banana to control chauckbrood?  People in my club say it works like a charm.  You have to be suited up because it really pee'd off the bees.

I did a search on this forum but didn't get any hits.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
Re: banana on top of inner cover
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2010, 11:05:31 am »
Down here that would be a SHB lure.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
  • Gamecock fan in UT land.
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2010, 11:07:01 am »
From my understanding of the banana smell and beehives it would be you taking all the hits and not the search engine when you placed it on there.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2010, 11:20:18 am »
yup!
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2010, 11:49:33 am »
They didn't give you detailed instructions on how to catch that snipe too, did they?   :-D
Rick

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2010, 12:19:53 pm »
Sorry I don't get the joke.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 12:28:50 pm »
Scadsobees;

They didn't give you detailed instructions on how to catch that snipe too, did they?   grin

He's a engineer you have too explain it very very carefully !!  :roll:

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 12:45:19 pm »
snipe hunting is almost a lost art.  :(

by what mechanism does the banana control the chalkbrood?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Bee-Bop

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 01:10:14 pm »
kathyp;

snipe hunting is almost a lost art.  Sad

It's all the fault of those durn plastic shopping bags, snipes wont have any thing to do with them !  :shock:

Then again maybe, a rotten banana in a plastic bag might work ?  :?  :?

Bee-Bop
" If Your not part of the genetic solution of breeding mite-free bees, then You're part of the problem "

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2010, 01:13:58 pm »
I found this:
http://www.hgsc.bcm.tmc.edu/projects/microbial/documents/review_Chalkb.pdf

Start on page 13, this caught my eye:
In the USA the management of honeybee colonies

The banana starts on page 14.

Beek member claimed he had a hive amongst other hives that had chalkbrood for four years.  Local guru said throw in a rotten banana and stand back.  Two weeks later no evidence of chalkbrood.  It is not scientific but for the cost of a rotton banana that could be laying in the woods anyway what would you choose, the banana or a pound of toxic chemicals?  It's a no brain-er for me.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2010, 01:16:14 pm »
i don't know any chemicals that work for chalkbrood.  most of the time it's self limiting.  don't see that it could do any harm....

bee-bop, default to the pillow case.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2010, 01:42:54 pm »
The ever illusive snipe....tastes good with a red wine sauce  :-D

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2010, 01:54:44 pm »
I would not feel good about placing a banana anywhere near my beehives. The banana smell is their alarm pheromone and I would think it might upset them to constantly have that smell on top of them.

Also I thought chaulkbrood was a problem mostly due to ventilation?? Doesn't it clear up pretty easily??

Offline nella

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2010, 02:16:15 pm »
Bananas(Dole) are treated with thiabendazole and/or imazalil or azoxystrobin which I think are fungicides. Might there be enough residual material left in the peelings to cure chaulkbrood?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2010, 02:19:29 pm »
The banana smell is their alarm pheromone and I would think it might upset them to constantly have that smell on top of them.

Yes, this is what they said.  I was also told they devourer it, not much left.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2010, 02:26:30 pm »

It almost sounds like a prank they'd pull on the new greenie beekeeper..."put a banana on and stand nearby and watch it work!!"
 :-D

Like Kathy said...it usually is self limiting, and anybody that had it bad in a hive should be kicked because re-queening is the best cure after a few months of it.  I wonder if the banana induces the hive to supercede the queen - that would cure it.
Rick

Offline VolunteerK9

• Super Bee
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2010, 02:33:03 pm »
I guess the results would depend on if it was an organically grown banana fertilized with all natural monkey poo or one of those wretched Monsanto chemical laden ones  :evil:

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 02:47:04 pm »
I guess the results would depend on if it was an organically grown banana fertilized with all natural monkey poo or one of those wretched Monsanto chemical laden ones  :evil:

Hard to figure who is friend or foe on this site but you hit the nail on the head.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2010, 02:54:16 pm »
friend or foe?  must we choose sides?

chalkbrood is USUALLY self limiting.  i have lost a hive to it in spite of things like requeening.  it grows were conditions are good for fungus, and that would be here!  in places where moisture is less, and the hive can be ventilated, it is usually self limiting.  i also read a couple of reports about getting the temp up in the hive which would probably preclude the ventilating part.....i did close one hive except for small entrance, i hottest part of summer.  the chalkbrood cleared up, but i have no idea if the heat in the hive was the reason.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2010, 03:32:00 pm »
Beek member claimed he had a hive amongst other hives that had chalkbrood for four years.  

Sorry, Kathy, I was referring to this situation, not yours or any particular one here.  Maybe that reported episode was a very low-grade case, but this situation seems suspect.  I would take that story with a grain or salt...4 years is a long time to endure that in a hive. 

Usually increased hygeine amongst the bees will cure, which is why requeening works for long-term cases - they get the problems out sooner before the fungus can spread.  The humidity and weather gets it going, but if the bees can keep on top of it, it isn't such a problem.
Rick

anything