Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: I quit watching TV altogether.  (Read 4652 times)

bigbearomaha

I quit watching TV altogether.
« on: October 03, 2010, 12:24:50 pm »
Now  I just watch JP and Schawee videos.  you got it all in one here.  Reality tv, sport fishing/hunting, beekeeping.  Who could ask for better entertainment?

You guys look like you having a lot of fun and that's what it's all about.

thank you for the great videos.

Big Bear

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
Re: I quit watching TV altogether.
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 02:54:30 pm »
Ya, but all those commercials during the shows are killing me.   Do you know what it is like wanting a shake all the time?   :-D

And there ain't a Burger Delight anywhere here.

Offline schawee

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2010, 11:11:29 pm »
bigbear,i will be making a few more bee vids with jp this month .we will do our cooking show soon and this deer season i will take jp hunting in the same swamp we gator hunted.looking forward for next bee season with jp and alot more videos.allen sorry about the commercials and will tell jp to cut down on them .if yall had a burger delite ,yall would allways be there getting the shakes and will be missing the videos :-D     schawee
BEEKEEPER OF THE SWAMP

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 11:31:31 pm »
When is deer season down there?    Our's opens in Sept and runs to the end of January. I might shoot one of the does that's been eating my beans and okra out of the pasture.   I just don't like it since they put a subdivision behind us.   300 win mag really flies.

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2010, 12:34:04 am »
Shootin that cannon there won't be any decent meat left to cook up. :-\  I only use my 300 for elk n caribou.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

bigbearomaha

« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2010, 12:39:47 am »
schaweee, my wife, who is my own bee buddy on removals here in Omaha, agrees with me that you and JP are the most fun to watch. 

on my website,  I even link to JP's youtube site proclaiming the bee videos to be the best "educational" bee removal videos out there because they show people getting it done and not staged or scripted.

we not having any more kids, but she says if we get another dog  (which gets treated like one of my own kids anyway) we gonna name it "Schawee".  (that's meant to be a compliment, btw.)

Big Bear

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2010, 05:17:15 am »
I watched a little TV in September, but otherwise haven't watched any TV since January...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2010, 09:00:12 am »
Didn't know where you were headed, seeing the title Big Bear, wow man, thanks for the kind words!

I actually stopped watching TV once for a period of about six months, years ago.

It was amazing how much stuff I got done.

I almost went to Burger Delight yesterday evening but was running late to beat the clock.

Went to the Bass Pro shop in Denham Springs and bought a Cross Bow (Tenpoint Turbo XLT)

First thing I did was go and look at the gigantic alligator snapping turtle that Schawee donated to them.

This thing is huge folks, absolutely huge!

Head's about as big around as a soccer ball!

More videos to come.

Thanks Big Bear!

...JP

My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline tecumseh

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2010, 09:53:30 am »
JP writes:
I actually stopped watching TV once for a period of about six months, years ago.

It was amazing how much stuff I got done.

tecumseh:
at or about 1967 and at that point in time when my father hauled me off to the big state university... 'give up the tv' was likely the very best (and only) advice my dad ever gave me.  I have not had a tv attached to cable or antenna since about 1972 and yes my father was quite correct in the time available to get stuff done when you are not attached to the soon to be infamous 'glass tit' would amaze most folks.

just casually it appears 10 minutes after airing most folks cannot even tell you any significant details of what they watched.

I am 'the panther that passes in the night'... tecumseh.

bigbearomaha

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 10:18:40 am »
Well ,J.P.  I'm not as photogenic as you fellas are , so I don't video my removals. I do take pics once in awhile and post them when I can.

Like  I said earlier, and on my website, bee removal is about more than technique and tools.  It's about creativity and being able to adapt quickly to different situations and enjoying the bees.

Your videos demonstrate all those things.  In "training" my wife to be my bee buddy on bee removal calls, I intentionally have had her watch your videos to get an idea of what goes on and how to take things in stride and have fun with it.

Nothing prepares someone to do bee removals like actually getting in there and doing it.  Videos like yours are a great example of that.  Seeing how often the bees add a quick change of plans due to how they build comb further in and what surprises a house or building might have because of add ons or how people build things different  giving you different things to deal with every time.

It's hard to 'script' that for a 'real' educational type video and communicate the fun at the same time.  

Also, it helps you and schawee have a great time playing off one another.  The umbrella (parasol) video captures that perfectly as does the shrimp and corn cooking video.  There' s a dynamic that's better than anything hollywood could write there.

I'm sure it's obvious that yes, I am impressed with the videos.  More than that,I think your videos capture that feeling most of us have about bees.  getting that swarm or cutout is like being a kid at christmas.  

btw, I really don't watch very much tv at all for real.  I'm too busy working bees, trying to get my business to pick up or on the computer, which is just as bad tv in a lot of ways.

If you fellas ever come up to Omaha, give me a holler. I'll take you up to Zesto's where you can get a real ice cream shake.

Big Bear

Offline AliciaH

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 12:01:02 pm »
If you fellas ever come up to Omaha, give me a holler. I'll take you up to Zesto's where you can get a real ice cream shake.
Oh, boy, you're gonna start somethin' here!

We aren't giving up TV, but have decided to give up Direct TV.  Too many movies and shows can be had on Netflix or Hulu.  I'm good with it, I don't watch that much, but boy you should hear my kids!  You'd think giving up Cartoon Network and Nick at Night was like dying of a fatal disease!  They don't realize that the more they fuss about it, the more I'm convinced that the decision's a good one.  :evil:

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2010, 03:35:51 pm »
I really appreciate the feedback Big Bear. Your feedback is a confirmation of the things I try to capture on film. Thanks for the validation.

I always tell people you have to be prepared for and expect the unexpected when it comes to bees.

No use in getting super stressed when presented with a curve ball.

By now I have just about all the tools and tricks for the trade, but every now and again there are new challenges, actually often enough, which keeps it interesting and exciting.

But the bees are what makes it all worth while.

Still get tickled whenever I find a queen.

Life is meant to be enjoyed, as crazy as it can be at times.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com