Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Problems or Paranoid Newbie???  (Read 3930 times)

Moots

Re: Problems or Paranoid Newbie???
« Reply #20 on: February 20, 2013, 01:39:21 pm »
Moots,
You're a guy, they are women. Need I say more?

Truer words have never been spoken!  :-D

Just talked to Schawee, the weather is refusing to cooperate, we're stuck in the mid 50's and the wind is blowing...It's downright chilly out!

Heavy rain coming for Thursday and Friday, we're gonna try again Saturday..I'll post an update after we take a look. Again, thanks to everyone for all the input.

Moots

Re: Problems or Paranoid Newbie???
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2013, 12:24:00 am »
Follow up on the condition of Bravo Hive....

Well, finally had a decent enough day of weather to go in and take a look.  Unfortunately, it looks like my fears of this hive having gone queen-less appear to be true.

Here are some snapshots of the inspection...not sure how helpful they will be.  Seemed to be a pretty good number of bees, however, I saw no covered brood, larva, or eggs and there was a bit of a mess of the bottom board.

I reached out to both Bailey and Schawee who took the time to listen and help me devise a game plan for moving forward.  I did my best to try and select a frame with new eggs from Alpha hive and moved it to Bravo to give them an opportunity to make a queen. (Unfortunately, as green as I am, I'm not very confident in my selection  :oops:)

I also took one of my new frames of foundation being drawn out in Alpha and moved it to the center...hoping the queen will lay there should I need to attempt this again.

On a positive note, Alpha hive seemed to be booming.  To the point they were drawing comb all on the underside of the inner cover and within my internal feeder stand.  I gave them a new box of foundation. 

We'll see!

anything