Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Dadant & Small Cell  (Read 14846 times)

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
Re: Dadant & Small Cell
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2008, 11:21:00 pm »
It is about over all hive health.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Angi_H

• House Bee
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2008, 02:39:27 am »
Bees were small cell before man messed it all up. And made fake foundatioin with larger and larger cells to get more and more production out of them. You did not see all of these problems way back then but now you do. Mites and afb and all sorts of nastys. Moving to small cell should help with some of that mess. And get them healthier. Well that is the hope any way. I am going to be starting out with Perma Comb and then move them slowly down to to the smaller. I am installing packages on these. On swarms that look small cell they will get there comb what ever I can get and then starter strips with small cell.

Angi

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: March 08, 2008, 09:51:34 am »
MarkF, welcome to our forum, you are already asking questions and getting good answers.  Spend time here, learn and learn some more.  This will be a great learning tool for you, tell us a little bit about yourself when you have some time.  Great to have you here, have an awesome and wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #23 on: March 08, 2008, 11:07:22 am »
Actually it's not 'small cell' we should aim for, but natural cell.  Bees build all different sizes of cells for brood, honey, pollen stores, etc.  We should let them build their own houses, nevermind trying to give them fully furnished condos - who's to say they like the decor?  :-P

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2008, 04:53:13 am »
Actually it's not 'small cell' we should aim for, but natural cell.  Bees build all different sizes of cells for brood, honey, pollen stores, etc.  We should let them build their own houses, nevermind trying to give them fully furnished condos - who's to say they like the decor?  :-P

Percisely.  We need the size of combs the bees draw in nature free of human intervention.  I figure it will take me 5 yrs to get there.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2008, 06:05:52 pm »
Absolutely correct.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline MarkF

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2008, 08:55:46 pm »
I was wondering if you put a blank foundation (one with out the cell imprint) in would the Bees use it or be confused by it?  :?
Sting me once shame on you!
Sting me twice I guess I should have learned faster!

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2008, 09:07:28 pm »
Bees will probably use it. If you put an empty frame in they will draw it.
http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l65/kwrabbit/Beekeeping/IMG_3853.jpg

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2008, 09:42:02 pm »
>I was wondering if you put a blank foundation (one with out the cell imprint) in would the Bees use it or be confused by it?

They will draw it, but they will draw from just a starter strip more quickly.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline MarkF

• New Bee
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2008, 10:31:26 pm »
Ok thank you Michael
Sting me once shame on you!
Sting me twice I guess I should have learned faster!

Offline beesbeesbees

• New Bee
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008, 05:01:08 pm »
I find that I don't know anything about those little flying monsters that I keep in boxes.  But I do know that I put starter strips in every box and there were HUGE cells full of honey at the top of the hive and smaller toward the bottom.  Seems like they can manage on their own pretty well.  I'm guess not really sure what regression means.  If using natural cell won't the queen be laying in larger, honey cells early in spring (like mine is)?  Wouldn't that make it impossible to standardize bee size? 

I'm a second season beekeeper so there's a lot I don't know.  But I have to assume that worker bees of the same hive come in different sizes under normal circumstances.  Maybe even tending toward smaller workers in the fall as honey cells are filled at the top.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2008, 06:20:31 pm »
I find that I don't know anything about those little flying monsters that I keep in boxes.  But I do know that I put starter strips in every box and there were HUGE cells full of honey at the top of the hive and smaller toward the bottom.
That is correct. When talking small cell and natural cell it refers to worker brood cells.

Seems like they can manage on their own pretty well.  I'm guess not really sure what regression means.  If using natural cell won't the queen be laying in larger, honey cells early in spring (like mine is)? 
Feral queens prefer to lay in small cell. Very often domestic package bees have been laying in large cell because that is what they have been forced to do or raised to do. Getting them to lay in small cell is referred to as regression.
Wouldn't that make it impossible to standardize bee size? 
The queen prefers to lay in the center frames so the brood is insulated and the temperature is easier to control. People who do small cell are trying to mimic the standard that exists for bees in nature. 

I'm a second season beekeeper so there's a lot I don't know.  But I have to assume that worker bees of the same hive come in different sizes under normal circumstances.  Maybe even tending toward smaller workers in the fall as honey cells are filled at the top.

The cell size for workers is pretty uniform in a feral hive. A small cell hive tries to recreate that situation.

Sincerely,
Brendhan

The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

anything