Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: SHB TRAPS please help decide  (Read 4550 times)

Offline papabear

• House Bee
SHB TRAPS please help decide
« on: February 24, 2011, 06:45:42 am »
I have lost hives to shb in the past and i am about to buy 3 more and dont want to end up the same way. What is the best shb trap ? What is the best preventive measures can i take to slow down the growth of the shb?
"IF YOU BELIEVE THAT JESUS DIED FOR U, YOU WILL HAVE ETERNAL LIFE."

Offline D Coates

• Queen Bee
Re: SHB TRAPS please help decide
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 10:07:22 am »
I only have a few SHB's att his point.  As soon as I put the hives in full sun their limited numbers disappeared.  I do see one or two on occasion in nucs I keep at the house (50% full sun).  I keep a close eye one them as the bees get their populations up to defend themselves.  As soon as they are strong enough I move them to my apiary in full sun and the beetles disappear.  In short, my first recommendation is get you hives in full sun.  I have no recommendation for SHB traps at this time though.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 11:53:19 am by D Coates »
Ninja, is not in the dictionary.  Well played Ninja's, well played...

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
  • Bees... Motorcycles... amateur radio...
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 10:13:39 am »
I use beetle barns... you can see themhere.

I agree with DCoates.... full sun in my experience helps keep the numbers down naturally.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:32:50 pm »
I use beetle barns through out, oil trays under, and when I can think about it after dark, I use a ground drench. 

And the hive tool also which really gives me joy.   :-D

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 10:49:57 pm »
this set bup here had the best I seen with bait included.
http://georgiabees.blogspot.com/2009/09/small-hive-beetle-traps-pstpaid.html
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 11:31:31 pm »
I bought some of them, at a much cheaper price. I think it was 2.00 each, one or a hundred. I tried them for one season, then gave them away. I never saw a dead beetle while I was using them. The bait that was recommended to me was Combat roach bait. I never saw any sign of the bait being touched.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 11:48:14 pm »
thank iddee, I never seen what bait he used, always thought it was Maxforce Gel.
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 02:16:46 pm »
Cut a piece of Checkmite and put it in the middle... works for me. Kills lots.

...DOUG
KD4MOJ

P.S. maxforce (containing Fipronil) gel and the others are not approved for hive use...fyi

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2011, 03:12:29 pm »
Fripronil :jawdrop:
John 3:16

Offline AllenF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2011, 04:42:48 pm »
Yes, Checkmite for them.   One strip baits 8 or 10 hives.  I paid a dollar for the barns each in bulk. 

Offline NasalSponge

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2011, 07:03:33 pm »
I am running Freeman's but I only had the trays in one season. I think I might try some beetle blasters as well.

Offline teezbees

• New Bee
    • Buzzed and Confused
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2011, 09:30:59 pm »
I'd think twice before using the ant/roach (Firponil) bait in the Beetle Barns. It will kill the beetles grave yard dead, but if a beetle goes in and comes out alive, it has the potential to track Fipronil pesticide residue on your honey. Further, I've yet to hear of any entomologist endorsing this method. If anyone knows of one who has, I'd like to know.

First defense against SHB is a strong colony. Other than that, I use the Beetle Jail. It uses Dr. Hood's concept except it sits in between the top bars of the frames like the Cutts Beetle Blaster as opposed to taking up a frame like the Hood trap. It has 3 compartments (2 with cider vinegar and 1 with vegetable oil).

Tests were done at Clemson University on the Freeman Trap and it worked very well. In the beginning used vegetable oil in the Freeman trap was endorsed, but I've also heard that varmints like skunks and such will yank the tray out to get at the used vegetable oil, so new oil is probably better. From what Freeman said, having a total bottom screen with no ledges for the beetles to hide on was key. I'm not sure I agree so much as I've seen how aggressively a strong hive will go after the SHB on the bottom board. So I think any screened bottom board with an oil pan would be very effective.

Offline kedgel

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2011, 12:13:02 am »
Here in FL SHB's are the bane of my existence!  I kept bees in Tn & KY with no pest problems ever.  Down here, I've been plagued with everything!  I've tried everything.  Moving the hives into the sun helped.  I tried the bait traps--they killed them alright, but I also just about wiped out a hive when a heavy rain washed it out onto the bottom board!   :shock:  I tried the AJ's beetle trap--useless! A total pain in the Obama to use.  They have a rounded bottom, so they are constantly tipping over whenever you try to manipulate them.  I didn't catch one beetle with it.  I tried using corrugated cardboard method and smashed a few, but the bees chewed it up and pushed it out of the hive.  The single most effective method is the screened bottom board with an oil pan.  It kicks their butt along with varroa mites.  I haven't had a problem with either since I switched my bottom boards to them.  I still occaisionally see a SHB in the hives, but the bees keep them to a manageable level by chasing them into the oil.  Very satisfying to strain dozens of the little suckers out of the oil knowing that otherwise they'd be in the hive wreaking havoc.  Don't waste your time with other methods and NEVER put poison in your hive.
Talent is a dull blade that cuts nothing unless wielded with great force--Pat Travers

Offline KD4MOJ

• Field Bee
    • TangleWood Apiary
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2011, 03:01:17 pm »
Friproni

Yeah my spelling is horrible!

...DOUG
KD4MOJ