Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Two Swarms And One Removal---April 2, 2010  (Read 3566 times)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Two Swarms And One Removal---April 2, 2010
« on: April 03, 2010, 12:30:17 am »
Got a call from the place I rent bucket lifts, said they had a swarm on one of the buckets.

Removed bees from an apartment bldg. I caught a swarm from this hive this past week, the one on the brick wall. I caught three queens, two virgins one mated.

There were several hatched queen cells. Bees were extremely gentle and good workers. I will be looking to use this hive for splits/grafting in the future.

Saw something I have never run across in this hive. Three sealed queen cells when opened had workers inside. One was dead, two walked right out.

I spoke with Alan Bukley and he said this is not a rare occurrence. Queens will hatch out, then workers will enter, but are sealed inside the cell, accidentally.

This blew my mind as it doesn't seem like something bees would ordinarily do, but I saw it with my own eyes.

Last set of pics is of a swarm that I am calling "Charles Manson bees" as they are sooooo polite!

Pics: http://picasaweb.google.com/112138792165178452970/April22010#

...JP (worn out!)
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline beee farmer

• House Bee
Re: Two Swarms And One Removal---April 2, 2010
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2010, 12:37:04 am »
Gotta love those gentle swarms.  make it all worth while when compared to the tough ones.
"Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do"  Benjamin Franklin

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 12:40:20 am »
OH just love the photo of the queen in the cage trying to get out, she has her head out the cage and the other one with her legs wrapped around the cage.  Just wonderful photos. Also love the photo of the cutout with the white comb with honey. What a beautiful comb that is.

Thanks once again for sharing JP

Annette

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:50:14 am »
Glad you enjoyed the pics Annette. The bees have me so tired I can barely stay awake!

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2010, 03:34:02 am »
All that in one day's work JP,as a new beek i'd be real excited to have gotten all the experience.HIve in da brick wall area is amazing-beautiful white combs.Thanks again for sharing da pics JP
But hey,how do u know the difference between Virgin & mated Queens??
Seems like a really exeptional scenario :shock:
« Last Edit: April 03, 2010, 09:27:39 am by Jahjude »
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline G3farms

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2010, 09:14:20 am »
Great jobn JP.

Was that boom lift one you had rented before and left a little lemon grass oil on??

Dandy cut out, and beautiful white capped comb ful of honey, I would have taken a bite right out of it for sure.

Nice swarms.

How many hives are you up to now?

G3
those hot bees will have you steppin and a fetchin like your heads on fire and your keister is a catchin!!!

Bees will be bees and do as they please!

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2010, 09:34:50 am »
All that in one day's work JP,as a new beek i'd be real excited to have gotten all the experience.HIve in da brick wall area is amazing-beautiful white combs.Thanks again for sharing da pics JP
But hey,how do u know the difference between Virgin & mated Queens??
Seems like a really exeptional scenario :shock:

Jahjude, I placed two queens in hairclip queen catchers and placed them atop the hive frames and the bees were not interested in covering them in the least. When I placed the third queen atop the frames the bees instantly covered her.

The mated queen also was larger and didn't move quite so much as the mated queen. Virgins are notorious for moving very erratically.

This was actually a pretty established colony. The white combs were the newest section of combs they had built and yes, the honey was very good attested by myself and about eight other people who lived close by.

G3, I am at 46 right now, and the thing about the lemongrass, I ain't saying!  :-D

...JP

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2010, 10:07:06 am »
SO this hive was quite old then since there were a few hatched queen cells,Just to eliminate any doubt here-This hive you took from the brick wall had 3 Queens??that what u saying 1mated and 2 virgins?? :-\
Cant imagine why something like that would happen but just wanna get full clarity here
I've chosen understanding over knowledge-since knowledge is all about knowing where to find facts and understanding is knowing how to manipulate knowledge...I've also chosen knowledge over beliefs!! We all need to..

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:15:23 am »
SO this hive was quite old then since there were a few hatched queen cells,Just to eliminate any doubt here-This hive you took from the brick wall had 3 Queens??that what u saying 1mated and 2 virgins?? :-\
Cant imagine why something like that would happen but just wanna get full clarity here

This colony IMO was there last season. They made it through winter and are strong and healthy. A good strong colony will throw off reproductive swarms every year.

When a colony is in swarm mode or prepping for it, they make many swarm cells. They have a parent swarm and sometimes after swarms. All swarms have at least one queen.

If you catch the colony at the right time, multiple hatched queens can be found in the colony.

The day before this one, I removed a colony I caught 4 queens, this one we speak of I caught 3.

Two yrs ago I caught 9 queens from one colony.

...JP

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2010, 12:53:43 am »
Oooh kool kool,Wow nothing beats da practical experience huh JP.Always read that in situations where there are multiple queen cells-the 1st queen that emerges would walk thru and sting the other queen cells...Guess that's another story by itself or some other scenario

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2010, 03:41:56 am »
Oooh kool kool,Wow nothing beats da practical experience huh JP.Always read that in situations where there are multiple queen cells-the 1st queen that emerges would walk thru and sting the other queen cells...Guess that's another story by itself or some other scenario

Things in reality don't always happen exactly as the books say, when the books say it.

...JP

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2010, 04:14:04 am »
Yah nothing beats da practical experience JP,then again da person who wrote da 1st book on beekeeping must've done so from "practical experience"  8-)

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2010, 04:19:39 am »
I've seen queen cells ripped out at the sides after virgins apparently killed others and I've listened to them pip, but have also observed many in the same colony together.

I think its all about timing. I'm sure at some point, a war ensues. The one where I caught nine, I had no choice but to cage four together. One apparently killed the other three inside the container.

...JP

Offline Jahjude

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2010, 04:24:17 am »
Patiently awaiting the time for me to gain a few a those experiences JP

anything