Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Unusual Problems - Beginner Here  (Read 3236 times)

Offline calvis

• New Bee
Unusual Problems - Beginner Here
« on: July 19, 2007, 04:00:07 am »
One of the recurring thoughts that keep coming in my beginner mind is, "Am I doing things right.".   For the most part I have been having an inner discourse with myself that I must not worry too much and let the bees do their thing.   However, I have came across a couple of issues.   The first being the cone formation that my bees have been developing in the first super.  No matter what distance the frames are the bees will merge the frames together which makes inspection very difficult.   I say difficult because when I break the frames apart I see larva everywhere and I don't want to be destroying any larva because I need the workers.   The second issue that I am Perturbed by is during the night a good number of bees will loiter at the entrance for no apparent reason.  I thought they are suppose to be in the hive?  I dont think it is the weather because it has been rainy and overcast for the past 2 days.   Another issue that I have is that I added another super but there is no good cell formation.  All I see is just clumps of cone fusing 2 frames together.   I have had it on for 2 weeks.  Before I added the 2nd super the 1st was over 80 percent full.

I am looking for a good plan here.  Am I being too sensitive in regards to damaging any larva when pulling the frames apart?  How can I stop the bees from merging the frames together?   I have experimented with the frames next to each other to frames a few inches apart.  I am concerned if the frames are fused the bees will have trouble finding their way to the second super.  Can I take some frames from super 1 and put them super 2? 

I just took a peek at the hive (during the night) and there is a number of them outside once again.  But I did notice that there were lots of slugs nearby along with some ants?  Is it possible they are trying to protect the hive for some reason and that is why they are outside?

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
Re: Unusual Problems - Beginner Here
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2007, 04:20:13 am »
Calvis, your frames should be touching each other, what kind of foundation are you using?

The excess bees on the exterior at night are the result of the hive trying to cool down, its known as bearding. All hives at some point do it, even feral colonies. If this worries you do a search on ventilation on this site's archives, you will see options to help reduce bearding such as slatted racks and screen bottom boards.

The bees will move up as long as you observe proper bee space and when they need more room. You may have to clean the cross comb ocassionally, but just keep those frames together.

Have fun, good luck and try not to worry too much.
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2007, 09:12:10 am »
Do you have any pictures?

If they have a space < 1/8 " then they will propolise it.  If it is a space > 5/16" then they will put comb there.

Is this comb built between the boxes?  If so, that is pretty normal, called burr comb.  Since we use worker foundation, they need space to put drones, so they draw that wherever they can.  You can scrape it off or leave it, they will draw more.  Very normal.

If you have extra comb between frames, then your frames are too far apart as JP said.

I agree, don't worry, they've been doing this longer than you have.....

Rick
Rick

Offline ncbeekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2007, 10:27:06 am »
I understand about putting the frames so they are touching but what about the gap that will be left on the first and last frames and the side of the box? Does that make sense? The space is about a 1/2 inch total, a little morre and you might be able to squeeze another frame in..

Thanks,

Scott..

Offline deantn

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2007, 10:54:56 am »
How many frames do you have in the hive body?
What size is the hive body? Deep or medium?
Sounds like you have 9 frames in a standard hive body with a frame rest in it to hold 9 frames, is there a metal piece where the frames are sitting?
If there is it there to space the frames at a ceertain space so leave it in there.
Hope all of this makes sense.

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2007, 12:35:15 pm »
All normal things. Inspect the exposed brood for mites as part of your Intergrated pest mnagement (IPM) techniques. Improve your ventilation. Ten frames to begin with. You may reduce to 9 frames, but only after all ten are drawn. Rotate some frames from the outer edges towards the middle until they are equally drawn. Dont break up brood area however.  If they make really crazy comb, remove, taste the honey in the wax, and the bees will re-draw the comb. Eventually straight. It might be the only honey you get the first year. The frames will get even more stuck w/ fall as they begin to propolize everything.

Put your location so we know if you get winter and the like.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline ncbeekeeper

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2007, 01:58:31 pm »
Deep brood chamber with 10 frames in it. The shallow supers have the same setup with a little extra space when the frames touch. Both supers and brood chambers have extra space in them. These came from Brushy Mountain and I am located in Asheville, NC.

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2007, 02:28:50 pm »
Don't worry about the little extra space on each side.  That is normal.  As the frames get drawn out, you can space them all evenly.  Or take one frame out, but I wouldn't recommend that personally, although plenty of other people do it without problems.
Rick

Offline calvis

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2007, 04:51:12 pm »
OK, I just updated my location which is Redmond, WA.   I am going to break the hive up this afternoon with the objective of taking pictures.

Stay Tuned.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2007, 10:03:09 am »
I can't get mine close enough.  :)  I shave the end bars down to get 1 1/4" and push them tightly together.  This makes 11 frames in a ten frame box.  The excess is just left on the ends.  With standard frames, in the brood nest, push them tightly together.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline calvis

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2007, 03:18:47 am »
How many posts do I need to have to post pics?   Looks like I can't post pics.

Due to excessive spamming, users with limited number of posts can not post URL or image links. Please remove any links from your post. If you would like to have an administrator append your URL or image link to this post, continue this post and then email your link to photos@beemaster.com with a reference to your post. Once your post count increases, you will be able to include links.

I finally broke open the hive and installed a slatted rack.

Here is the bearding that I was experiencing at night:

Also, here is a picture of my bottom frame.  Not that I have some frames missing.  Since the bees were fusing the frames together I thought I would just take some frames out give them more space.  Boy was I wrong.

I have a another deep with all the frames and the bees are on there, but they are not building any cone.   What should do?

PS Pictures have not been posted.

Offline eivindm

• Global Moderator
  • Field Bee
    • Eivind's page
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2007, 06:41:43 am »
How many posts do I need to have to post pics?   Looks like I can't post pics.
The exact number is kept away from the public to avoid spammers to know how many dummy-posts they need to make before they can post real spam.  We are sorry for the inconvenience this is to real and honest members, but it was a necessary step to include this limit to get rid of a spam problems a while ago.  Until the limit is reached (for a regular member posting once in a while it will not take that long), I am afraid you need an administrator help you include the links by sending the URL to the picture to photos@beemaster.com.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2007, 11:26:13 am »
Another question, is the hive level?  Side to side, this is important.  The bees like their combs to be perpendicular.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything