Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: air nailer for frame assembly  (Read 17552 times)

Offline Sour Kraut

• House Bee
air nailer for frame assembly
« on: June 27, 2013, 12:03:09 pm »
OK, I'm open to suggestions

What do YOU use and any complaints or praise ?

Thanks to all in advance

the S K

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: air nailer for frame assembly
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2013, 12:11:11 pm »
I use a finish nailer with 1 1/4 inch long #18 gauge nails. I don't know ho manufactures it, I have had it for about 20 years now.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2013, 01:33:56 pm »
I use 1/4 crown staples 1 inch long and glue.  In my opinion glue titebond II is the most important.  I apply glue with a acid brush to the tops and bottoms of the end bars.  I lay a top bar upside down on the bench and push on the two glued end bars.  With a small square I square one of the end and shoot a staple angled through the end bar, into the top bar.  Repete with the other side.  I then install my plastic foundation and a bottom bar and shoot a staple through both ends of the bottom, into the end bars.  Frame done.  When the glue dries they NEVER break at a joint

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2013, 01:35:52 pm »
I should add the my Menards stapler cost under 30.00 five years and a couple of 1000 frames ago.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2013, 02:01:02 pm »
I use the 1" long 1/4" crown staples too.  But a brad nailer would work with 1" or longer brads.  The other nice thing about the crown stapler is it works ok for boxes with 1 1/2" or longer staples.  Mine won't take longer than 1 1/2" but that is sufficient.  Any shorter is not sufficient...

My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2013, 04:56:47 pm »
another thing the staples have over the brad nailer is each one is like shooting 2 brads.  My cheap stapler can only handle 1inch long which is just right for frames.   I can see the benefit having one that would shoot 1 1/2.   That would make boxes, covers and about everything else go quicker.  Again though use a good glue.  the nails or staples only hold the pc's together long enough for the glue to dry.    One of the things that  bother me the most in bee keeping is prying a frame out of a active colony and have it come apart.  Its a mess. 

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2013, 05:17:13 pm »
and it's therapeutic!!   :evil:

do get one that does nails and staples and will take the longer.  my first was not so good, but the second one i have had long time and it's great.  i think it was from Harbor Freight and not to expensive.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline marktrl

• House Bee
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2013, 10:52:18 pm »
I use the Harbor Freight brad nailer/crown stapler. It will shoot up to 1 1/2 staples but it doesn't have the power to shoot them if the wood is on the hard side. So I use my 15 gauge finish nailer on boxes.

Offline RHBee

• Queen Bee
  • That's my pooch.
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2013, 09:57:59 pm »
I use the Bostic crown stapler/brad nailer combination tool. The drawback to this toolis that it uses bostic 7/32" instead of normal 1/4".  It came with my finishing nailer. For boxes I use a Griptite 7/16" stapler and 1 1/2" staples. TiteBond3 just cause.
Later,
Ray

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2013, 10:29:47 pm »
Keep in mind, eventually the nails will rust out, they are only 18 gauge. The glue will last longer than the wood unless the frames are left submerged in water for a couple days. Tight bond glue is designed to work on flat plained wood not end grain. It will work well on cuts up to 45 degrees. Putting glue in the bottom of the cut on the sides pieces does little good. It needs to be on the sides, flat wood to flat wood. I have done the tests, there is a big difference.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2013, 11:07:56 am »
sawdstmakr.........

What tests are you talking about  ???

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2013, 08:01:39 pm »
sawdstmakr.........

dito

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2013, 01:02:27 am »
sawdstmakr.........

Take one frame and using just glue, put the glue in the button of the notch's, end grain to flat cut wood and then take one frame and put the glue on just on the sides where you have flat cut wood to flat cut wood. Let them both dry for 24 hours. Then take the first one and stress it by pushing on the top bar on one end and push the bottom bar on the other end. The first one will fail quickly if you only have glue on the end grain. Put the same stress on the other frame and you will find it will not fail. Add a little more and it still will not fail. I usually stop there so that I do not destroy a perfectly good frame because the wood will probable break before the glue joint does. You can then take the other frame and re glue it like the other one and it will be just fine.

I did this demonstration for our bee club and let the students see for them selves the difference.
Ben Franklin

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2013, 11:36:01 pm »
sawdstmakr .....

I still do not know what you're talking about when I and glue a joint I put glue a all sides of the joint (I use a small acid brush for this) and neither clamp it or nail it and sometimes I will screw the joint together.

acid brush is used by plumbers before soldering copper pipes may cost you a buck or two
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/218b6pF4koL._AA160_.jpg

"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2013, 02:01:53 am »
sawdstmakr .....

I still do not know what you're talking about when I and glue a joint I put glue a all sides of the joint (I use a small acid brush for this) and neither clamp it or nail it and sometimes I will screw the joint together.

acid brush is used by plumbers before soldering copper pipes may cost you a buck or two
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/218b6pF4koL._AA160_.jpg

Jim,
It has been mentioned to place glue in the bottom of the notch of the frames and there are videos on utube that show the same. The bottom of the notch on a frame is end grain. Any type of glue that is basically a white glue does not have any strength when the glue is placed on the end grain. White glue (titebond) is designed for gluing flat grain to flat grain.
I am trying to show that you need to make sure you are not trying to glue frames together using the end grain as your main connecting point.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline danno

• Super Bee
« Reply #15 on: July 03, 2013, 08:14:36 am »
As I stated earlier I use titebond II and a acid brush.   I grab a bundle of 10 end bars and with the brush, I apply to the bottoms and sides of all the groves both top and bottom.   I like to see enough glue that when I push the end down on a top the some pushes out the sides.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2013, 08:39:02 am »
Are you also telling the you do not double glue end grain some may call it priming the joint  ???
Are you tell me you do not put glue on all sides of the joints ???  
If not why not ???
Or are you like the State FarmĀ® commercial they cannot put anything on the Internet that is not true ???

http://youtu.be/rmx4twCK3_I

:lau: :lau: :lau: :lau:

Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: July 03, 2013, 12:07:56 pm »
I use a 1/4 in 18 gauge stapler, it can use up to 1 1/2 " staples.  I use it for frames and supers, with a little glue.  I got mine from CPO outlet near Atlanta.  They have reconditioned and new, mine was new but in an open box.  Every thing was there, it is an Hitachi, can't remember exactly but was around $65.  Good luck with what ever you choose.

Joe

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2013, 12:21:08 am »
Are you also telling the you do not double glue end grain some may call it priming the joint  ???
Are you tell me you do not put glue on all sides of the joints ???  
If not why not ???

Jim,
What I am saying is that if you depend on the end grain joint to provide the strength, in the long run it will fail. I glue the side tabs and the sides of the top and bottom boards. This glues flat grain to flat grain and the wood will fail before the glue joint.

Try doing the test and you will see what I mean.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2013, 10:16:50 pm »
When putting boxes together I use a Campbell Hausfield air nailer I bought online from CPO outlets.
I use 1 1/4 - 1 1/2 inch brad nails and Tite Bond II glue.
I put the boxes together in a jig I built so they'll be square.
I've built around 450 boxes this season so far and have had no complaints.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

anything