Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Boosting nucs with frames of brood and bees?  (Read 3702 times)

Offline bee-nuts

• Queen Bee
    • Nectar Meadows Apiaries
Boosting nucs with frames of brood and bees?
« on: June 17, 2011, 05:31:33 am »
I just made up 9 nucs.  Six were pretty weak.  I want to give them a helping hand as soon as possible.  How long should I wait after queen is accepted and laying and what is best method to do so and in what proportion.  Can you add a frame of bees and brood to a nuc with only two frames of bees?

I remember reading a book on the net called something like "? years in an apiary" in which I think the Author went from nine colonies to 52 or something by taking a couple frames of brood from strongest colonies and giving to weakest each week or something in regard.  Anybody know the title of this book?  I would like to follow his lead.  If I remember corectly the more frames from different colonies the less fighting occurred which seems odd at first.
The moment a person forms a theory, his imagination sees in every object only the traits which favor that theory

Thomas Jefferson

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Boosting nucs with frames of brood and bees?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2011, 09:19:29 am »
"A year in an out apiary" by G.M Doolittle or "Forty Years (and later Fifty Years) among the bees" by C.C. Miller.

Yes the more different colonies involved the less fighting...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline TimnEsther

• Brood
Re: Boosting nucs with frames of brood and bees?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 11:29:47 pm »
Go to books.google.com and search for 50 years among bees.

starting on page 257 tells what you are looking for.

anything