Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Large removal  (Read 2940 times)

Offline Trailrunner9749

• New Bee
    • Dave Lesher Photography
Large removal
« on: July 09, 2013, 11:02:51 pm »
I received a call from a fellow about removing a hive from an old house he wants to tear down, but from what he describes there may be more bees here than I can handle. He describes there could be an 4x8 area in a wall and there are two entrances where they are coming in and out and they are loud. I only have one hive to put them in. Is one hive enough for something that size?

I am going to go look at it tomorrow to be sure they are honeybees and not hornets or something.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Large removal
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2013, 11:15:26 pm »
A 4'x8' hive is very large and is probably 2 hives. If it is one hive, you can put it into one hive. You will just need several supers. Just put the brood and a little of the pollen and honey in the new hive. Keep the honey and save the wax. If it really is that big I would put it in 2 hives and make sure both hives have young brood and eggs.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Trailrunner9749

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2013, 09:43:44 am »
Okay, I have 2 large and 2 medium 10 frame supers. I have put a call out in my local assn. for some "back-up".

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2013, 01:48:00 pm »
That should be enough. Do you have a bee vac?
Not absolutely necessary but they help reduce the guard bee early and then they are very calm.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2013, 03:29:16 pm »
Okay, I have 2 large and 2 medium 10 frame supers. I have put a call out in my local assn. for some "back-up".

Sounds like a wise move, good luck & make sure to post pics or video the event or both.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Trailrunner9749

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 04:24:29 pm »
I went to the site and took some photos and did a little exploring. I will be assisting my "back-up" Saturday to get them all. I have posted photos on my log site. I'm not sure I can post them here yet.

Offline blanc

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2013, 11:03:46 am »
Usually wall studs are 16 inches apart and sometimes 2 ft apart in older house so not likely one hive at 4 ft across. I would say two sister hives at best. I did one yesterday that the original hive had fallen down the wall and they rebuilt the upper portion but they acted as though they were two separate hives and very well could have been but I treated it as one hive and put them in two five frame med nucs. Calmest bees I have taken out so far and went well at two and a half hour removal. Good cut out to ya!
Blanc
Psalm 19:9-10
The fear of the Lord is clean,enduring forever; the judgments of the Lord are true and righteous altogether.
More to be desired are they than gold, yea ,than much fine gold: sweeter also than honey and the honeycomb.