Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Hive Inspection 2-2-14  (Read 1537 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Hive Inspection 2-2-14
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:07:19 pm »
The temp was in the lower 70's today so I dove right in because I wanted to see what stage they were in. i.e. stores, brood, ect. As soon as I was on my second or third frame it started sprinkling, then stopped. This is my only hive, 3 lb package 3banded Italian, 7 Jun 13. 2 eight frame deeps and one 8 frame medium. I've been feeding off and on for about 2 or 3 weeks. I started this because the bees were in the top and staying fairly active. I think it was a good thing because they were very light on stores. Then I read the concerns about liquid feed this time of year. The bees are bringing in mostly red pollen.

Top to bottom; The first box, med, had 3 or 4 sides about 30 percent filled and capped. Other than that still some empty non drawn out foundation frames there. Bees on them tho.

Second box; about 4 or 5 sides 50 to 70 percent capped brood also larva. Saw the queen, she waived, I waived back. Evidence of nectar (sugar water) collection and pollen on the rest of the frames. I saw quite a bit of drone brood down around the bottom of the frames. I also saw a couple of fake(?) queen cells. I am sure I saw a queen cell with a larva possibly in it. If I had to roll the dice and bet I'd say yes. I know I saw wetness in there as if nectar or something for feed. I tried the best I could with the sunlight and an LED flashlight but I couldn't be 100% sure. In retrospect, next time I find myself in this situation I'll use the bore light for my rifles.

The bottom box very little capped brood, some larva, but mostly nectar or empty cells. Still a lot of bees to this hive. I cleaned off the burr comb and looked at a half dozen capped and uncapped drone larva. I saw several varrora mites. Later that day I gave it an oxylic acid vaporizing treatment. I plan to do that for the next three weeks.

So now, I'm thinking in circles. Yeah! I can do a split, put it in a 5 frame nuke/swarm trap. Use the heating pad for starting seeds, insulate, and hope Frodo makes it to Mordoor. Then I'm like; naw, leave it alone, the queen will tear it down. (but what if newcomer shes kills my precissssoussss? and gets eats by bats when she goes on hers mating flight.  OR; They gonna swarm next thing you know! Naw, not enough brood. Also I'm wondering if I should have rotated the two bottom boxes or at least swapped some frames.

Any thoughts (other than find another hobbie?) or suggestions?
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline 10framer

• Super Bee
Re: Hive Inspection 2-2-14
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 10:15:47 pm »
leave them alone for now.  the shine in the bottom of the queen cup is just a reflection from where the bees polished it.
drones have to mature before they can mate so you're weeks away from having to worry about any possibility of a queen mating. 

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2014, 02:34:48 am »
Quit studying Lord of the Rings. Alabama a long way from Mordor and the beekeeping climate ain't no where near the same. Trust me  :-D
John 3:16

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2014, 02:35:30 am »
 deleted.......double post...... ooops  sorry preeeciousssssss ;)
John 3:16

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 12:32:18 pm »
a few days of freezing might be OK for liquid feed top vent is probably a must

what do ya all think?

a consensus might be a good thing
jay

anything