Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Well I'll BEE  (Read 3629 times)

Offline Hillbillenigma

• New Bee
    • Centsible Sounds
Well I'll BEE
« on: September 21, 2008, 05:42:12 pm »
Having just recently decided to start keeping Bees next spring I have been reading quite a bit (purchased 3 of my favorite books) and doing alot of online Research (Thanks to all on this Forum).  But, I had never witnessed any Honey Bees in the Wild.... until today. 

While helping me do some yard work today my Wife said she was taking a break to go get the Binoculars.  When she returned I was still working but she was looking down into the Woods at the back of our home (we live on a high Ridge).  She then tells me excitedly to come and take a look... I look down into the woods at a tree and this is what I saw...  :-D

Took a short walk into the woods and found this Tree... note the Hollow where the Branch broke off (approx 45' - 50ft off the ground)

Then I got the camera and Zoomed in...

And a little closer....

Now I don't know how much anyone can tell from these pics but the Thorax all look very dark to me.  Also, I can't really tell if they are Swarming and just waiting around inside this hollow for a Scout to return, or if this is their permanent home.. or...
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan 1985

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
Re: Well I'll BEE
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2008, 06:14:29 pm »
It looks to me like they live in there!
 Tell your wife she has really good eyes!! I didnt see anything in the first pic but when you zoomed in It was GREAT!!
 maybe you can get a swarm out of it next summer. :)
Way to go!
your friend,
john

Offline JP

• The Swarm King
  • Universal Bee
  • I like doing cut-outs, but I love catching swarms!
    • JPthebeeman.com
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2008, 06:29:04 pm »
Hill, the bees live in that tree. If, the hollow is directly underneath the opening, whenever it rains really a good soaking, these bees are vulnerable. However, if the tree has a void space down and to the right they are not as vulnerable to a deluge.

Either way, if you would like some bees from this colony they will more than likely throw off at least one swarm next spring.

Research swarm traps on this site and set you up a few for next spring.

...JP
My Youtube page is titled JPthebeeman with hundreds of educational & entertaining videos.

My website JPthebeeman.com http://jpthebeeman.com

Offline Hillbillenigma

• New Bee
    • Centsible Sounds
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2008, 06:31:13 pm »
"Swarm Trap" - hand't heard of that, I will begin researching it. 

Thanks
"Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. The Marines don't have that problem."
~ Ronald Reagan 1985

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2008, 09:30:33 am »
Cool pic's and good luck with a swarm trap hope you get some bees :-D
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline SgtMaj

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2008, 11:14:48 am »
I'm curious how you got those close shots... looks like the angle is from much higher off the ground... did you climb that tree?

Offline Hillbillenigma

• New Bee
    • Centsible Sounds
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2008, 07:06:23 pm »
I climbed the one a few feet away.   To be honest I wasn't sure if they were Honeybees or not so as we examined them I gave them a wide berth.  But by process of elimination about the habits of other Bees we did decide they were HBs so I climbed up with the camera around my neck.   
~ Ronald Reagan 1985

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2008, 10:58:15 am »
Hillbillenigma.  Wow!!!  Those were some very excellent photos, no kidding!!!  Your Wife does have some very keen senses of sight for sure, imagine that, how she could have noticed this, wonderful.  Have that great and awesome day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline jojoroxx

• House Bee
  • Northern California Nature Girl
    • SoHumMushers
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2008, 04:24:31 pm »
Very cool photos..I love honey bees in the wild.

Offline Billy The Beekeeper

• House Bee
  • My Strong Hive
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2008, 07:54:41 pm »
Nice pics your wife has some amazing vision lol and grats on seeing some bee's in the wild ive seen alot in wild but ive been beekeepin for 5 yrs lol but cant atm but am also startin again in spring and if you was wondering i cant do it atm cause i entered the Air Force so been busy with that well GL and have a great day and thx for sharing your pics with us

Billy Bee's
Experienced BeeKeeper :D

anything