Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Something new for me  (Read 909 times)

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
Something new for me
« on: May 07, 2013, 10:38:34 am »
Yesterday afternoon went to get a couple of swarms.  When I got there they were about 15 feet apart.  One was 4 to 5 feet high, the other was about 9 to 10 feet high.  Both were fair size, started with the lower swarm.  Held the super under the limb and shook, set the super down for the to all get in.  Went over to the other swarm, took both hands to pull that limb down some and shake.  A lot of them missed that super, bees were flying around pretty good.  They all went into the first super, left it  there for a little, put screen in the entrance, and top on.  Hauled it to bee yard, broke a limb put in front of hive,mixed some sugar syrup,and put on a feeder.  Never had two swarms go into one super before.  There didn't seem to be any fighting or anything.

Joe

Offline Steel Tiger

• Field Bee
Re: Something new for me
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2013, 10:44:24 am »
Being so close and more than likely from the same hive, they probably got a whiff of the homing pheromone. Don't know why they would abandon their queen, but that's nature for you.

Offline hardwood

• Galactic Bee
  • Alysian Apiaries youtube.com/MrBeedude
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2013, 10:48:44 am »
Probably two secondary (virgin) swarms and the queen scent wasn't strong yet so the bees followed the other bees.

Scott
"In the first place, we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the person's becoming in every facet an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...And we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1907

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2013, 12:56:20 pm »
I got a call to remove a swarm from a pipe that was stuck in the ground. By the time I got there they had split into 3 swarms, all in 3" pipes sticking 4' out of the ground within 30' of each other. Never did find any queens, put them all together and had to add a frame of eggs/larva.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

anything