Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Laptop  (Read 5924 times)

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
Laptop
« on: May 01, 2009, 08:47:36 am »
My computer is old and I'm looking at laptop's. What is the best deal and the easiest to work and do they still have them with windows XP
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
Re: Laptop
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2009, 11:19:06 am »
I dont have a laptop so I cant really say. I have looked into them before for myself and otehrs and found I am attracted to Sony.

Offline buzzbee

• Ken
  • Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
    • N Central Pa Beekeepers Facebook Page
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2009, 06:52:42 pm »
Personally Irwin,I like the HP and compaq laptops. I have seen recent horrors with some of dells studio laptops.Be sure it has a wireless built in,and an ethernet hookup for hooking up to your broadband connection.The built in cams are nice too.
 Try to get one with as much memory as you can afford(RAM).A lot come with 2 gig plus of ram anymore.Try to be sure it is dvd capable,not just cd.
 And most of all,find one with a screen you like. Ypou'll probably be looking at it a long time before you buy a second laptop.
Just my two cents worth Buddy!! :)

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2009, 08:08:36 pm »
I ws gonna get a laptop Irwin but after trying my buddys out it really botherd my hands if I used the little pad to move the cursor.The mouse would probably have been fine to use I suppose.
I dont think Im ready to join the present time yet...I still prefer my desktop, but most people I know now are going to laptops.
your friend,
john

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2009, 08:34:45 pm »
I ws gonna get a laptop Irwin but after trying my buddys out it really botherd my hands if I used the little pad to move the cursor.

Ya, I too hate the touch pads. Feels like I'm doing a scratch off lottery ticket and the only thing I'll win is getting the mouse to the other side of the screen (If I'm lucky :roll:)  Then again, I have fallen in love with the trackpoint over the year and wouldn't consider a laptop without one.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Tom Cannon

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2009, 08:46:35 pm »
you can get a mouse to plug into your usb to bypass that little pad. my 2 cents

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2009, 09:38:53 pm »
I am 100% Dell laptop with a Microsoft wireless mouse. My internet and printer are connected wireless. I do all my surfing and office work from my chair. I have a lap desk that I place my computer on. It keeps the heat off my legs.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline johnnybigfish

• Super Bee
    • The World of Johnnybigfish
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2009, 11:50:58 pm »
Hey Asprince!. Now that you mentioned it...wireless.....I have printer sharing capabilty...but,....For my printer to work like this, do I need a usb adapter to stick into the printer too?

your friend,
john

Offline Koala John

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2009, 06:00:16 am »
Hi Irwin,
Yes, you can get new laptops with XP - many people still prefer XP over Vista.
Most name brands (such as Toshiba, IBM, HP/Compaq, Dell etc etc) are fine, just shop around for one that suits you. The big disadvantage of the lesser known brands is that as time goes by, parts can be harder, if not impossible to get. I know someone who bought a name laptop very cheaply, but a small fault caused them to throw it out because parts were no longer available. Generally name brand laptops don't have this issue.
Best regards,
John.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2009, 09:52:14 am »
Hey Asprince!. Now that you mentioned it...wireless.....I have printer sharing capabilty...but,....For my printer to work like this, do I need a usb adapter to stick into the printer too?

I don't know. My son son sat mine up for me. I finely got some good out of that college education that I paid for. Seriously, I think I have a wireless router sitting next to the printer. The printer plugs into the router. My laptop talks to the printer thru the router.

Steve   
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline chad

• New Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2009, 10:25:05 am »
Toshiba is always rated well.I have a Sony,but they are overpriced.I just bought my wife a Toshiba and she loves it.the best place I found to buy at is newegg.com .Always have big sales.I signed up for there emails and they send you promo codes and special deals.Just had to figure out what I wanted,then waited for it to go on sale.Had to wait 2 weeks but ended up costing me 400 instead of 900.also when they send you coupon codes you can combine them to save more.

Offline RayMarler

• Field Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2009, 01:40:19 pm »
I've gotten a Toshiba Satellite that I like well enough. It's got Vista on it. I'd prefer XP but Vista hasn't given me any problems so far. This one is a dual core with 2gigs RAM and 250gig hard drive in it. It has all the bells and whistles on it, most of which I will never use. I got it on sale at http://www.Frys.com last year.

Offline Shawn

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2009, 04:15:09 pm »
Irwin, Just incase you are a gammer check out these laptops.

http://www.vigorgaming.com/product/notebook.html

Offline Irwin

• Super Bee
  • howdy all
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2009, 08:38:00 am »
I just want to say thanks for the input. The laptop going to have to wait. There having a good sale on cameras at staples so I'm going to get a Nikon coolpix I hope it is a good camera.
Fight organized crime!  Re-elect no one.

anything