Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Plastic Foundation  (Read 2491 times)

Offline Buzz Lightyear

• New Bee
Plastic Foundation
« on: December 11, 2006, 06:48:12 pm »
Hi all, this is my first post to this site, a big Hello from England. O.K............
I have one hive only, in my first year, got a nuc in July. I want to increase my numbers next year, to 6 if poss. I will feed and give pollen early, then perform splits with new queens, but I reckon I should try plastic foundation, to reduce the workload on the girls. My question: Anyone have a source of plastic foundation in the Uk? If not, anyone anywhere else ( Europe ? ) who could provide me with some. It appears that its not popular in U.K for some reason. Thanks all 

Offline buzzbeejr

• Josh
  • Field Bee
Re: Plastic Foundation
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2006, 07:53:37 pm »
You may want to check,but if there is a good flow, I think they will be regular foundation as fast as plasticomb.
MMMMMMMMM!!!!!! Doughnuts.- Homer Simpson

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: Plastic Foundation
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2006, 11:05:16 pm »
I love plastic fully drawn foundation.
Permacomb.
Wax moths can't eat through it. Doesn't mean you won't ever have any but they don't get to make a strong hold.
Helps keep down varroa mites if you prep the frames properly.
The biggest problem I have is cleaning the older frames. I use a pressure washer. The problem isn't the frames it's that the pressure washer has one hell of a recoil. Maybe I shouldn't go at full strength right from the start. My neighbor's yard had a piece of permacomb land in it, because I didn't understand the concept of bracing. These are the worst problems I have had with permacomb.
I am not sureif there is a distributor in the U.K. but I am sure he will ship internationally.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible