Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: It's coming!!  (Read 4658 times)

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
It's coming!!
« on: January 18, 2009, 02:15:35 am »
Spring is finally on it's way!  Staying light later, There are little bump buds on some of the trees, my daffs are pushing up & Robins are coming back to the area, not singing yet but doing that agitated flying & reep reep sound they make as they resettle territories.  Saw buds on a star magnolia in town the other day.  YAYS!  J :cindi: hee hee, very funny guys! Ann should be the flower!  J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: It's coming!!
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2009, 08:16:08 pm »
JOdy, oh yes, I have noticed the longer days, so much longer already, it was 5:00 yesterday and I could still see outside.  It is just 4:13  PM right now, the sun has just began to go down, I can still see those sun rays through the trees, not quite into twilight, my favourite time of day.  We are still snow covered, I can't stand it and wish that it would go.  I haven't been outside to look around yet so see what is budding.  Surely nothing coming through the snow yet.  What a weird year, I, in all my 56 years have never, ever seen such a long, cold winter, never.  No birds here yet.  Ooops, take it back.  I heard the "ceasar, ceasar" call of the Black-Capped Chickadee yesterday, that is about it though, whahhh.  Have a wonderful and awesome life, day, attract and keep great health.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2009, 06:08:17 pm »
Robins stay all year round. Most people dont know that. They lose their red breast and gather in flocks. I must have about 100 in my yard on sunny days. Yes spring is on its way!!!!
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2009, 12:21:55 am »
Nah...I just saw some poor robin huddling in a tree, it was 12F out.  It didn't lose it's red breast at all.  I think it was eating crabapples or something.  I felt sorry for the poor confused thing.  I imagine that it had a hankerin' for a nice warm worm...
Rick

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2009, 12:58:54 am »
a hankerin' for a nice warm worm...

Oh that word, "hankerin'", ain't it a lovely one, I love that word, I have told you all before, certain words strike my fancy, and "hankerin" is one of them....I could write a list of beautiful and favourite words, there are many, smiling that beautiful smile.  Have the best of a great and most wonderful day, attract that great health we all deserve and strive for.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline KONASDAD

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2009, 12:26:49 pm »
Nah...I just saw some poor robin huddling in a tree, it was 12F out.  It didn't lose it's red breast at all.  I think it was eating crabapples or something.  I felt sorry for the poor confused thing.  I imagine that it had a hankerin' for a nice warm worm...

In my area the red breast becomes almost dark brown, not brick red at all. But for sure they dont leave. I wonder what they eat when ground is frozen. I do see them eat holly berries and dogwood berries as well.
"The more complex the Mind, the Greater the need for the simplicity of Play".

Offline poka-bee

• Super Bee
  • I am NEVER bored!!
    • Darby Farms
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 01:05:53 pm »
Here they don't actually go away, but I think they go down into the valleys cause they are not as numerous as in the summer. The varied thrush hangs around here in the winter but wanders off somewhere in the summer so you don't see them as often although once in awhile you hear them. Heard some type of bird singing yesterday!   J
I'm covered in Beeesssss!  Eddie Izzard

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 01:29:49 pm »

Oh that word, "hankerin'", ain't it a lovely one, I love that word, I have told you all before, certain words strike my fancy, and "hankerin" is one of them....I could write a list of beautiful and favourite words, there are many, smiling that beautiful smile.  Have the best of a great and most wonderful day, attract that great health we all deserve and strive for.  Cindi

Ahhh...Ah jus' fixed me hankerin' fer a big mac...

It could also be a backwoods word for "blowing your nose"... :-D  As in: "I 'ave such a bad cold dat I was hankerin' all day!"

Anyway... note to myself....:stayontopic:

It was 24 F this morning.  Felt downright balmy!!
Rick

Offline reinbeau

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 06:31:17 pm »
The reddest breasted robins go south, the paler breasted versions are robins from more northern areas.  I'd seen a few, but they're all gone now, there's just too much snow.  I've had a rash of pine siskins, I haven't seen them in years, they're a boreal version of the goldfinch.  I get 30-40 at a time right now!  It's just too cold up north for them, I guess.

There has also been an Ivory gull causing all sorts of excitement around here lately.  Maybe two!  As I said, it's pretty cold up north, I think these wanderers are looking for warmer places to vacation in, why they're coming here is beyond it, it's positively frigid out there!

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2009, 07:49:14 pm »
22 the last couple of mornings, but i can't complain.  no snow, ice, or rain!!  bulbs are just starting to poke up, but nothing else shows signs of life.  i have been cutting blackberries out of the grapes and raspberries.  it sure is easier when most things don't have leaves.  the grape arbor came down with the snow, so that is a job that will have to be done soon.  they just turned the gas on in the new house so i can work up there. painting, carpets, cabinets, and replacement doors and windows.  sorry cindi, i forgot about the pictures....i'll still do that.

ugh...i'm tired looking at the list and that's only a small part of it  :-(  spring will be great, but it will bring more work.....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

anything