Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Slaphead -- this post as been created with you in mind  (Read 2645 times)

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Slaphead -- this post as been created with you in mind
« on: January 17, 2009, 11:24:06 pm »
Slaphead, this is the post that I copied part of out of the greetings forum.  I will comment on what I can with your list, others may chime in, there are many knowledgeable people that grow flowers for their bees.

Cindi,

Loved your various posts on planting for bees in BC. I'm intending to sow a mix of "native" PNW annuals in the spring in the hope it might help supplement the forage for my colonies.  Here is the list (below).  I'm interested to hear what you make of it.

SH

Botanical Name                             Common Name
Achillea millefolium var California    California Yarrow
Clarkia amoena                            Godetia
Clarkia unguiculata                    Farewell to Spring
Collinsia heterophylla                    Chinese Houses
Coreopsis tinctoria                    Plains Coreopsis
Eschscholzia californica            California Poppy
Gilia capitata                            Globe Gilia
Gilia tricolor                            Bird's Eyes
Layia platyglossa                            Tidy Tips
Linanthus grandiflorus                    Mountain Phlox
Linum perenne lewisii                    Blue Flax
Lupinus albicaulis                            Sickle-keeled Lupine
Lupinus polyphyllus                    Russell Lupine
Mertzelia lindleyi                            Blazing Star
Nemophila maculata                    Five Spot
Nemophila menziesii                    Baby Blue Eyes
Oenothera hookeri                    Evening Primrose
Phacelia campanularia                    California Bluebell

In your list, these are the ones that I know the bees would enjoy immensely, others I am not too familiar with:

Clarkia Amoena (Godetia)
Clarkia unguilculata (farewell to spring)

Both clarkias above, the bees love

Coreopsis, yes, bees love it
Eschscholzia californica (California poppy), bees love it in late summer, excellent source of deep orange pollen,  have found during the summertime California poppy is mostly not worked, because of the more attractive food sources that I have grown for them.  But it may be wonderful all summer for you.  California Poppy is the most beautiful flower, that orange stands out so beautifully amongst the blue flowers that I grow.

I am sorry, but that is all I can say about the flowers in your list.  Bear in mind now, there may be others here that have grown these plants and can tell you yes, or no, I am just familiar with most of the plants on my plant lists, which you have already looked at.  But this will get this thread going to help you out, smiling.  Have that wonderful and most awesome day, life, health.  Cindi

Bees on the California Poppy, this self-seeds and grows everywhere here and I LOVE it!!!  This was taken on October 8 in 2007, after we had a hard frost, a very tough plant that can take some light frost.

Even the Syrphid Fly loves the California Poppy

There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline slaphead

• House Bee
  • Obsessive, compulsive & happy
Re: Slaphead -- this post as been created with you in mind
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2009, 11:39:24 pm »
Cool, thanks Cindi.

SH
The only thing we have to fear is fear itself - FDR, 1933

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Slaphead -- this post as been created with you in mind
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2009, 11:55:43 pm »
Slaphead, change your profile to put in where you live.  It will help immensely when people are responding to any questions you may have, each area is so different.  By the way, you're welcome, I hope this thread goes somewhere for you (and others' benefit too).  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

anything