Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Grandsons and Our Bees  (Read 4257 times)

Offline acbs

• House Bee
Grandsons and Our Bees
« on: June 16, 2007, 11:53:21 pm »
Thought you might like to see some pictures of our grandsons and our Russian bees

If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Grandsons and Our Bees
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2007, 12:03:41 am »
acbs.  Look at those little tykes!!!!  That is simply wonderful that you are instilling a love of the bees within their very souls.  They are courageous to get their hands right in their like that.  Good for you, you need to know that this is a fabulous thing to teach our wonderful young children of this world.  Have a wonderful day, beautiful pictures, by the way.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2007, 02:28:26 pm »
What a wonderful set of pictures you are so lucky to have a son

fantastic
kirko
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2007, 05:50:40 pm »
Wow, amazing, and absolutely NO protection whatsoever... :shock:

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2007, 09:21:55 pm »
Great pictures.  A great illustration of how nice bees usually are.  But I would never do it without a veil, except perhaps to make that very point of how nice they are.  But even the nicest bees have a bad day and even the most careful beekeeper has dropped a frame full of bees or, worse, a box.  The difference between nice bees and angry bees can happen in a blink.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mick

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2007, 03:43:09 am »
Wow brave boys indeed! Great to see no signs of "cotton wool" with their upbringing thats for sure.

Those pics deserve to be in a magazine/journal about beekeeping.

Your local apiarist association would definately want those!

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2007, 06:45:37 am »
awesome pictures.....I agree that is the type of photo for the cover of any of the bee rags.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Beemistress

• New Bee
    • My dog/chicken/bee etc. blog
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2007, 05:26:32 pm »
I'm going to show these to my teenage sons who won't go near the bees even in full suits.  Your young grandsons really put them to shame!

Did that boy wear a red shirt just for an extra challenge?

I'm very impressed with the courage and self possession exhibited by these boys!

Offline acbs

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2007, 11:02:17 pm »
Beemistress,

About the red shirt-No, that's just what he happened to have on at the time.  We never have noticed any difference in the color of clothes we wore.  Our youngest daughter, 19,likes to wear darker clothes (OK, black, though we try to discourage her) and she never seems to have any trouble with it.

Just took another picture of my grandsons last Fathers Day.  They went went me to check on a hive I hoped I had a queen hatch out in.  We went through it from top to bottom and found a pretty little black virgin queen and marked her.  I didn't notice until after you'd made the observation about the shirt, but danged if he didn't have on another red shirt then!

Here's the pic:

If I know how many hives I've got, I haven't got enough.
Unknown

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 10:35:29 am »
acbs.  Awe, cute little picture.  Gotta be proud of the grandchildren eh?   I have two grandsons, 13 and 8.  They are my pride and joy!!!  Have a wonderful day, great life.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2007, 05:14:45 pm »
These photos are just awesome! You can tell by just looking that the boys know "how" to act around bees - that is great. I'm sure they have seen the many attitudes of bees and their relaxed and confident actions around the hive are VERY impressive - you are teaching them well. Thanks for sharing, dang.... I love the photos here :)

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2007, 03:31:24 am »
John, I could not agree with your more.  Fellow friends on our forum.  Bring on your pictures.  We all love to get into that aspect of your life that you share with us.  Photos are fun, they make our day, they make us happy, what more could we want.  Photos, sharing, memories, fun!!!!!  Best of this day, and the best of days to come.  Cindi!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Beemistress

• New Bee
    • My dog/chicken/bee etc. blog
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 06:40:59 pm »
Such cute boys!  I love these pictures.
So Russian bees must have good dispositions?

Offline qa33010

• Field Bee
« Reply #13 on: June 30, 2007, 11:58:24 pm »
    Looks a lot like my younger son around any bugs.  He learned what Michael was talking about though.  He said he knew he was wrong just before they let him know they knew it also.  He usually veils up now as a minimum.  He still loves them just has a little more focus when he's with them now.

This is the same boy who as a two year old brought me a foot and a half long copperhead he found across the street.  Boy loves critters.
Everyone said it couldn't be done. But he with a chuckle replied, "I won't be one to say it is so, until I give it a try."  So he buckled right in with a trace of a grin.  If he had a worry he hid it and he started to sing as he tackled that thing that couldn't be done, and he did it.  (unknown)

anything